University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Waterford: stories of our village and its busy life, Waterford, Wisconsin
([1923])

The Thieman place PDF (1.6 MB)



STORIES OF WATERFORD AND ITS BUSY LIFE
    THE THIEMAN PLACE
  It was on  January 11, 1921, that
Mr. and Mrs. Thiemann came to Wa-
terford and took formal possession of
the property near the car line. known
as the Winter's place. A property
they had purchased only a few days
before.
  The building of a succesful busi-
ness such as the Thiemann's are now
enjoying, in so short a time, is de-
serving of more than passing notice
in the review of the business places
in the village of Waterford.
  The 'business block shown in the
accompanying picture was erected ,by
Fred Winters, who was for many
years a resident of this village. The
building is large and commodious. It
was   built for  business  purposes
as well as for a home for (Mr. Win-
ter's family. There is a large front
room  whien  is used  as a waiting
room for the interurban line and as
an ice cream parlor, news stand and
confectionary store. At the rear are
found the dining room, xitchen, and
wash   rooms. A number of large
sleeping rooms are founa on the se-
cond floor.
  For a number of years Mr. Winters
was proprietor and owner of the place
now owned and operated by Nic Hau-
per on First street. After selling to
Mr. Hauper, the Winters family lived
in the large brick house now occupied
by Mr. and Mrs. Weber, then known
as the Huening home. It was while
living there that Mrs. Winters (Rose
Huening) died.
  Early in the year 1915 Mr. Winters
bought the lot on the north side of
Main street adjoining T. M. E. R. & L.
Co.'s property of Mrs. Otto Malchine.
It was part   of the land former y
owned by Mrs. Malchine's son-in-law,
the late Henry Buss. Mr. and Mrs.
Clem Wiemer, parents of Mrs. Win.
Kortendick, retired farmers had own-
ed it for several years  before Mr.
Buss bought it.
  As soon as the spring opened in
1915 Mr. Winters and workmen en-
gaged in the construction of his new
business place and residence. Late
in the summer the following item ap-
peared in the Waterford Post:
  "Fred Winters' new place at the car
line which will be used as a  lunch
room and confectionery stand will
soon be ready for occupancy. It is a
fine looking building with broad ver-
andas and an ideal waiting place dur-
ing the summer as well as in the win-
ter for passengers on this interurban
line."
  The building was completed and
opened to the public early in Octo-
ber of the following fall. The fol-
lowing summer, on August 2, 1916,
Mr. Winters and Miss Lily Greenleaf
were married in Milwaukee.
  Mr. Winters in the fall of 1919 ex-
changed this place for the Casper
House at Oconomowoc and on October
2 of that year Mr. and Winters ├Żnd
family moved to Oconomowoc. Mrs.
Casper, of that city, by this transfer,
became the owner of the Winters
place in this village.
  Later Mr. and Mrs. Winters and
the two younger children moved to
Brownville, Texas, where they are
now living. The    eldest daughter,
Miss Loretta, is in Notre Dame Con-
vent, Milwaukee, where she is prepar-
ing for the sisterhood of that order
and doing exceptionally satisfactory
work. T'Pching is to be nor lire wrK.
  For fully a month after the V'/4n-
ters family went to Oconomowoc the
place was closed.    Waterford was
then, as it is now, one of the busiest
points on the car line and witi th2
Winters' place closed patrons wer_
forced to wait the arrival of cars in
the open, rain or shine. Winter was
coming on and the citizens of the
viflq~e ci~eulmt-.d "a p~ttiO, akin, trne
T. M. E. R. & L. Company for a wait-
ing room. This may have helped to
bring matters to a climax, at any
rate, we find the following published
in the Post of October 23, 1919:
  "L. C. Bullmore, who for several
years past has been local freight a-
gent for the traction company, has
rented the Winters' building, located
near the local station, for a term of
two years and will occupy same in or
about November 1.     Mr. Bullmore
has been appointed ticket agent by
the T. M. E. R. & L. Company and
will handle all the company's busi-
ness in this village.
  People who patronize the traction
line will be glad to know that the
station is again to be opened as ,they
have -been put to much discomfort
since Fred Winters closed it up and
moved to Oconomowoc.      Mr. Bull-
more will rent his home and move Into
the building where he can be found
at all times. He will handle a good
line of confectionery and cigars as
well as run the soda fountain."
  Mr. Bullmore took possession Nov-
ember 3, 1919, remaining one  year.
At the close of the year he returned
to his own home.
  Mrs. Casper, of  Oconomowoc, the
owner then came to Waterford and
personally took charge of the place.
She was a stranger in the commun-
ity with interests elsewhere. After
being here a short time she decided
to sell the property rather than rent.
The place was advertised for sale.
A. H. Thiemann, who was at that
time employed as a motorman for the
M. E. R. & L. Company in Milwaukee,
was looking about for a business lo-
cation, seeing the advertisement came
and looked the place over and bought.
This was early in the year of 1921.
  Mr. Thieman is a metal plater and
polisher by trade.   For  seventeen
years he owned and operated a job
1 lating plant at Oshkosh. The work is
'usty and poisonous, consequently un-
healthy. "I decided to quit before the
undeitaker got me," said 'Mr. Thie-
man in telling of his reason for the
change in occupation.
  On August 25, 1896, Mr. Thieman
was united in marriage   with  Miss
Margaret Gehring at Milwaukee. They
have two children, Miss Viola, of Gil-
lett, Wis., and Miss Helen at home.


Go up to Top of Page