Newbert, Millard / History of steam boats of Fox River valley
History of steam boats of Fox River Valley, pp. 157-179
Steamboats St. Croix and ran between Prescott and Taylorts Falls. In 1861 she was charters ed by the Milwaukee & Prairie du Chien R. R. Co., to tow barges from McGregor .Prairie du Chien. In 1855 Captaih Garrett and Captain Tarbox rebuilt an old catamaran house boat and converted her into a steamboat by attaching deck timbers across both hulls and building upper works thereon. She might have been termed a stern- wheeler, as her paddle wheel was located aft of amidship between the stern end of the two hulls. She was named "Sampson" and put on the route between Oshkosh and the east shore of Lake Winnebago. olhile lying in Calumet Harbor that season her boiler exploded, killing Captain Tarbox's son. The hull was towed to Oshkosh, and the following. summer improved by having a new bow built on to include both hulls. She was then named "Wfinnebago" and put on the route between Oshkosh and Portage, where she remained until worn out. The side-wheel steamer "Oshkosh City" was built at Oshkosh in 1855, by Tbel Neff and Alonzo Leach. With the exceptions of the "Menasha" she was the .'gest and finest to be built on the waters. She was 146 feet in length with 40 foot beam, equipped with two 17x54 inch engines. The boilers were built in Chicago, shipped via Lake Michigan to Sheboygan, transported overland to Fond du Lac, where the unfinished hull towed, boilers placed aboard and towed back to Oshkosh. Her trial trip was made June 2-9, 1855, under the command of Cap- tain Truesdal. For several years she ran between Fond du Jac and Menasha. In 1861 she was hauled out at Oshkosh, hull cut down in size to allow of her pass- age through the Portage locks. In 1862 she went into service renamed "Arizona", and was taken up the Fox down the Wisconsin, t o the Mississippi river, where she was placed in the wheat trade service. £Jater she was taken over by the government, fitted with new machinery, making her into one of the speediest boats on the Mvississippi river, and used as a packet boat for the upper Miss- squadron until that river was opened thru to the gulf. She was then sippi _iv-ve ,T-wkepe-&-.e -was-Fa eed- I-.R-t p±aced on a freight and passenger route from Carlton just above "ew Orleans to Galveston on the Glf of Mexico.
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code).| Original material owned by Omro Public Library.| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright