University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Omro and vicinity (of 1876)
(1930)

Early history of Omro and vicinity (of 1876),   pp. 169-223


Page 175

Wright History
   We see by this that even at that early day the license question was brought
up, and it has not been lost sight of to the present time.    Surely the
no-
license inhabitants of the town of Omro have clung tenaciously to their
principles.
From the Omro Herald issue of Dec. 24. 1930.
   Religious meetings were first held in the Winter of 1847-48, in a shanty
on Sec. 27, on land now occupied by Mrs. Betts. Only one or two meetings
were held there however.  Mr. Richard Reed had put up a log house 18x22 and
services were held in that. Elder Pillsbury preached the first sermon, we
believe. Mr. Reed's house was known as the "big house" for some
time, which
will give a good idea of the size of the others then in the town.    In those
early days the mill facilities were meagre, and Mir. Reed informs us that
the
first grist he had ground he hauled to Kingston, 40 miles and back again.
   On Mr. Reed's place was dug the first flowing well, we believe.  The well
was sunk quite a depth without reaching water, but while the workmen were
away, a stream burst into it, and filled so rapidly that it could not be
stoned up.   It never was stoned.
   The years of 1848-1849 were extremely Wet. More rain fell than we have
had this season. Many became discouraged, and moved away, but those who went
away did not succeed so well, as a rule, and some of them drifted back to
Omro.
   The first male teacher in the town was George Herrick, who lived on what
 is now the Howard place, Sec. 9, on the river. The previous owner of the
place, whose name has slipped our mind, went down to the river one evening
 to wash, and was never seen alive again. His body was not found until the
 next spring which must have been about '52 or '53.
   In 1848, the territory was admitted as a State.  On the 13th of March
of
that year, an election was held at the house of William Remington to vote
on
the adoption of the Constitution, which resulted in 27 votes for and 6
against the adoption. At an election held in April of the  same year we find
22 votes against granting license and 7 in favor of it. The election for
governor and other state officers was held in the following May. Again in
November there was still another election for presidential electors, county
officers, etc. the number of votes being polled being 40.
   Between this time and the following spring, the name of the town, was
changed from Butte des Morts to Bloomingdale. The whole amount voted to be
raised for the current expenses off the town that year was $33.60.
   In the latter part of 1852 occurred the Great Indian Scare. The Indians,
in large numbers, came down on the north side of the river, to have their
sugar dance. The villagers who appear to have been not very well versed in
the Terpsichorean performances of the copper colored race, mistook it for
a
war dance, and the hair on their heads began to have an upward tendency.
There was considerable excitement for awhile. All the shot guns and spare
pitchforks were hunted up, and preparations made for defense. The Reds
noticed the hurry and scurry on the south side of the river, and being as
ignorant of the white man's dance as the Whites had been of theirs, they
began to feel somewhat uneasy, and at last hurriedly adjourned the frolic.
It is said that some of the Whites went out of town a little faster than
they
ever did before, and that some of them never returned, but we do not tell
this for a fact.


Go up to Top of Page