University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Dexheimer, Florence Chambers, 1866-1925 / Sketches of Wisconsin pioneer women
([1924?] )

Laura Almira Wood Catlin,   pp. 179-183 PDF (1003.5 KB)


Page 181


of St. Paul's Mission. The Association maintained this
playground until it was taken over by the city-the
nucleus of the present extensive system of playgrounds
in Milwaukee.
    This Association also turned its attention to the
improvement of the Milwaukee river front. Some note-
able and very noticeable improvements resulted. These
led to comprehensive civic plans, which may not mater-
ialize for many years; but in view of them, individual
planning seemed inadvisable. Public interests having
taken over the various lines of civic work started by this
society, it ended its career by presenting a silver loving
cup to the most artistically decorated building on the
river front at the time of the Perry Centennial celebration
in 1913. The tour of inspection up the river by the
judges on that occasion was made aboard Perry's own
historic flagship- the "Niagara".
    In the early days of the National Society, United
States Daughters of 1812, Mrs. Catlin was appointed
State President for Wisconsin by the National President
of the Society. From the half dozen members, all resi-
dents of Milwaukee, at the time of her appointment, the
membership increased until it became state-wide under
Mrs. Catlin's leadership. She not only retained the Presi-
dency until her death but was made National Vice Presi-
dent. The silver loving cup was given her by her devoted
"Daughters" of Wisconsin, rests in the Milwaukee Pub-
lic Museum. She was also Charter Member of Colonial
Dames, D. A. R., and other patriotic societies.
    The broad culture of Mr. and Mrs. Catlin-evidenced
by one of the largest private libraries in Milwaukee, was
enhanced by extensive travel in this country and abroad,
including two trips around the world, of two years' dur-
ation each. The varied and valuable collection of inter-
esting objects thus accumulated was bequeathed to the
Milwaukee Public Museum and now enriches the exhibits
housed there.
    The charming old homestead of late colonial design,
built by Mrs. Catlin's grandfather, Dr. James Wilson
                          181


Go up to Top of Page