University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
(1965)

Wittenberg Mills Inc.,   pp. 27-28


Page 27

WITTENBERG MILLS INC.
The Cedarburg Woolen Mill was started in 1864 by Mr. Frederick Hilg4
in company with Diedrich Wittenberg and Joseph Trottian. The following
(1865) the mill was ccmpleted at a cost of $30,000 by Hilgen and Wittenbo
at which time Mr. Hilgen exchanged his interest in the grist mill with Mi
Trottman for his share in the woolen mill, and the factory was run under
firm name of Hilgen and Wittenberg. It was run by water power from Cedw
The principal products of the mill were yarns, blankets and flannels. TI
company employed on an average 45 hands and did a business of $100,000 P4
year. The mill contained twelve broad and three narrow looms, three knil
machines for scarfs and Jackets, and three for other purposes. The work
divided into apartments as follows: Basement-finishing, washing and dye*
first floor contained four sets of carding machines; second f.oor--weavii
and spinning; the upper floor was used for twisting, reeling and storing
The firm name Hilgen and Wittenberg was carried until 1872 when the
was incorporated as the Cedarburg Woolen Mill -- D. Wittenberg Presid3nt,
H. Wittenberg Treasurer, and J. W. Johann Secretary. This mill was the c
extensive woolen mill in 1878. The company built a branch mill in the V.
of Grafton in 1880 at a cost of $40,000. This mill manufactured worsted
and was the only one of its kind west of Philadelphia. The machinery wi
imported from England. Joseph Isles, formerly of Philadelphia, was in cl
of the mill'and employed sixty hands and did a business of $125,000 annul
The Cedarburg site was chosen for a mill because it had water power
available, which developed about 50 horse power. When the mill erpanded


Go up to Top of Page