University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
(1965)

Key personalities in the history of Cedarburg & Ozaukee County,   pp. 15-21


Page 19

Key Personalities in the History
of Cedarburg & Ozaukee County
returning from West Bend, he built the home still standing at North Washington
Avenut eek0       's'4MQpysca during the draft of 1862 and had taken
out his naturalization papers on the day of his arrival in Cedarburg. His
son, Dr. Max Hartwig (1850 - 1914) practiced in Port Washington from 1890
until his death in an automobile accident. In 1881, his other children were
listed as Theodore, engineer in Eau Claire; Albert, brewer in Eau Claire;
Ida, Mrs. Charles B. Carstens of Eau Claire; and Agatha.
Druggist Hugo Boclo, who had come to Cedarburg with Dr. Theodore Hartwig
in 1846, established a drug store which bore his name well into the 20th
century. It stood on the site of Jung's Furniture Store at 326 North Washing-
ton Avenue.
The name of F. W. Horn, a 1       who came to this county in 181., is
still prominent in Cedarburg and the county after 125 years. Mr. Horn was in
public life for practically his entire life time, as his grandson A2la.
S. Horn has been, as publisher of the New.Graphic and influential member of
the County Board of Supervisors and County Park Comnission today. Adi' s
grandfather, F. W. Horn, was born in Inum near Berlin, Prussia, in 1815; and
after some time in New York, Illinois, Iowa, and Michigan, came to Mequon in
1841 where he was Post Master, Justice of the Peace appointed by overnor
in 1842, the only magistrate in th  county. Caning to Ceda'burg in 184.,
he was Register of Deeds, a member Or 1he Assebly for 21 years and Speaker of
that body twice. lie was State CcppItspioner of EiĀ±gration in New York for a
time, and delegate to the State Democratic Convention in New York in 1868. He
was marrieO twice and father of four girls and three boys. In 1881, Frederick
was station agent at Pewaukee and Wiloa was station agent at Cedarbwg, while
Alexander was At home.


Go up to Top of Page