University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
(1965)

History of Ozaukee County,   pp. 1-4


Page 2

History of Ozaukee County
the men waded in to build rafts for transporting their families and goods to
dry land.
In the meantime, the first house was built in Saukville in 1836 by George
Daniels, x1he !atcr tcoe Stotz Coolziot. A log and bark shanty was built
in Grafton in 1837; the first German settlers to the county arrived in Mequon
in 3W   and in Thiensville in 1842. New Dublin (now Hamilton) was settled
about the same time; Fredonia, Waubeka, and Cedarburg in 18h4, and a hotel
was built in Saukville, which was the halfway spot for travelers between
Milwaukee and Sheboygan. In each community the first settlers were attracted
to the site because of the water power available for mills. In Hamilton,
however, the first man to set an axe to the primeval forest had the contract
to build that section of the Green Bay Road in the Town of Cedarburg. And
in Freistadt, Town of Mequon, the company of German Lutheran settlers came
seeking religious freedom, having differed with the state church in Germany at
that time. Freistadt means "Free City."
The first county seat was at Grafton, then called "Hamburg", and
possibly located there because the first lawyer was there. But it was soon
moved to Port Washington, where it remained. When the old county split up
in 1853 into Washington and Ozaukee Counties, there was a fight for possession
of the county records, and Washington county raiders managed to steal some of
the records, but all were eventually returned.
From the old records of the Town of Port Washington, beginning in 1846,
which at first included the Towns of Cedarburg, Saukville, Fredonia, and
Belgium, and Grafton, it is seen that the first business of the Town Super-
visors was the building of bridges and care of the poor. First elections were
held in the homes. Then the elected supervisors appointed a constable and a
school commissioner, purchased a book for keeping records, bought some land


Go up to Top of Page