University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Manitowoc County Historical Society: occupational monograph 48, 1982 series. Boy scouting and girl scouting history briefs: Manitowoc County 1912-to date
(1982)

Manitowoc County Historical Society: occupational monograph 48, 1982 series. Boy scouting and girl scouting history briefs: Manitowoc County 1912-to date,   pp. [1]-16 PDF (10.3 MB)


Page [2]


  During the first year of Council
operation    under professional
leadership, Scouting     grew   in
Manitowoc from three active troops
with 56 registered Scouts to eight
troops with 176 registered Scouts.
  Two troops were organized in Two
Rivers but they didn't affiliate with the
Manitowoc Council. Land was leased
on the north shore of Pigeon Lake and
the first Council sponsored camp was
held during July, 1920, with very
meager equipment.
  Mead F. Hansen, a member of Troop
2, was selected to represent Wisconsin
Scouts at the National Safety
Congress in Milwaukee. Sixteen
Scouts from various states served as
messengers and pages at the Safety
Congress.
1921 - Three major events took
place during the second full year of
Council operations. (1) The Orpheum
theatre (former Turner Hall) was
purchased by Mr. George Vits. and
turned over to the Scout Council for its
use. The former National Guard
Armory, under the stage, was
converted to a gym, the Council office
was moved to basement quarters and
several meeting rooms and kitchen
were provided under the main floor
arena. However, because of limited
Council finances, it became necessary
to continue renting out the theater,
thus limiting the use of the main floor
and stage for scouting and recreational
activities.
  (2) The Manitowoc Kiwanis Club
received permission from the City
Council to construct a cabin, 24' x 40' of
imitation logs, on city owned land
along the Little Manitowoc River, just
north of what is now Reed Avenue, and
just east of present Reed Avenue
subdivision. The cabin was equipped
with sleeping bunks, stoves, tables,
benches, cooking utensils, electric
lights, and an excellent fireplace. The
cabin was used for weekend tropp
camping and as a Council winter
camp, accommodating up to 32 scouts
and leaders. The building was used
until Camp Vits was donated to the
Council at which time the cabin was
donated to the city and moved to
Lincoln Park.
  (3) A large tool shed used during the
war at the Shipyards, was donated to
the Council by Mr. C.C. West and
moved to the Pigeon Lake camp. The
building was reconditioned and a
porch the full length of the building
was added. The porch served as the
camp dining area and the building was
divided into the camp office, kitchen
and cook's quarters.
  The new camp was named "Camp
Sinawa". 1921 camp attendance
totaled 43 scouts for 79 boy weeks.
1922 - A.P. Rankin was named
Council President to succeed Atty. A.L.
Hougen who had served as president
from the date of council organization
in 1919.
  Assistance was given interested
persons in organizing scout troops at
Rockwood, Reedsville and Mishicot.
  Franklin Zeran of Troop 5 became
Manitowoc's first Eagle Scout.
  By 1922, many of the troops were
using the meeting rooms at Scout
Headquarters for regular scout
meetings. This trend continued for
several more years when it became
evident that troop sponsor interest had
become almost nil.
1923 - George Vits was named
council president to succeed Atty. A.L.
Hougen.
  Theodore Shiremeyer and James
Hughes became Manitowoc's second
and third Eagle Scouts. Camp Sinawa
was rented to the Girl Scouts for a one
week camping period. The joint use of
Camp Sinawa for summer camping
was continued until the consolidation
of the Manitowoc and Sheboygan Girl
Scout organizations.
1924 - William Chadwick became
Eagle Scout No. 4. In February, F.D.
Chadwick resigned as Scout Executive
to accept a position on the region seven
staff.
   Mead F. Hansen was engaged to
 supervise the theatre and headquarters
 program on a part-time basis.
   In April, Milton Stangel was named
 Scout Executive to succeed F.D.
 Chadwick.
   The first all-Scout track and field
 meet was held in June.
   Mr. Stangel directed a most
 successful summer camp. However, in
 late summer he decided to return to the
 University of Wisconsin and as of
 September 1, 1924, the Council was
 without professional leadership.
   On Oct. 1, 1924, Mead F. Hansen was
 named Scout Executive, a position he
 held until March 1, 1929.
   During the several transition periods
 several troops became inactive and
 registered scouts dropped from a high
 of 350 to 240.
 As no finance campaign had been
 conducted, the Council, in September,
 found itself approximately $1,800 in
 debt. Through the generosity of
 President George Vits, who
 contributed $2,500, the outstanding
 obligations were taken care of, leaving
 a nest egg of some $700. A mail
 campaign netted another $2,800
 making it possible to end the year free
 of debt.
 1925 - One new troop was organized
 and Scout membership increased from
 240 to 283. With most of the troop
 meetings at Scout Headquarters
 (Orpheum Theatre) scouting activities
 were combined with      a broad
 recreational and athletic program.
 (A) Scouting activities included an
 inter-troop first aid contest, a hobby
 show, birdhouse building contest and
 the annual scout field day.
 (B) Each     troop sponsored a
 basketball team and a full season of
 games was scheduled with a league
 champion crowned. Several troops
 sponsored baseball teams playing
 each other and various school and club
 teams. Boxing and wrestling classes
 were scheduled for individual
 participation.
 (C) Over 250 scouts and leaders
 turned out for the annual Memorial
 Day parades to both Calvary and
 Evergreen cemeteries.
 (D) A four week summer camp was
 held at Camp Sinawa. William Rahr
 was camp committee chairman. Scout
 Executive Hansen was camp director;
 Anton  Chermak, assistant camp
 director; Emil Ziarnik, waterfront
director, and Mrs. John Allwardt, head
Sir Robert Baden-Powell (founder of the Boy Scouts), Lady Baden-Powell
                    and Juliette Low, 1919.


Go up to Top of Page