University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Zellie, Carole; Janesville Historic Commission / Look West Historic District : a guide
(1987)

North Jackson Street,   pp. 6-9 PDF (1.3 MB)


Page 9


NORTH JACKSON STREET
415
Mary E. Crosby (1844-1908)
1882
The Crosby house is one of several Queen Anne houses in Look West
which have in common an abundance of sawn millwork. A variety
of wooden brackets were used at the eaves and projecting windows,
and the bargeboards have a distinctive routed and sawn motif.
(See historic photo, page 3.)
429
Frederick Rau
ca. 1900
Frank Kemp, architect (attr.)
Built for the Vice-President of a shoe factory, later owners of this Colo-
nial Revival style house have included a tobacco dealer and, between
1923 and 1936, Stanley Dunwiddie, a District Attorney.
445
John Peters
ca. 1854
Peters, who built this house, was employed as a mason. Between 1911
and 1936 it was the residence of Emil Haumerson, who rose from
teller to President of Merchants and Mechanics Bank. The unusual
4-bay design has an off-center entry with a glazed transom.
9


Go up to Top of Page