University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Somerset, Wisconsin: 125 pioneer families and Canadian connection: 125th year
(1990?)

[From book "History of northern Wisconsin" printed in 1881 by Western Historical Company of Chicago],   pp. 5-10 PDF (4.1 MB)


Page 8

HISTORY OF NORTHERN WISCONSIN.
urer of a district in Somerset for eighteen years, and Supervisor
of his town five years.
BRIG. GEN. SAML. HARRIMAN, Captain of 13th Wis.
Vols., commissioned by Gov. Salomon, Aug. 25,1862; enlisted asa
private June 10, 1862, in Co. A, 30th Wis. Vols., and on the organi-
zation of the company was made Captain, which position he held
until he was promoted for gallant services. Feb. 7, 1864, he was
appointed Colonel of the 37th Wis. Vols., which he gallabtly led to
victory on many a hard-fought field, receiving personal congratu-
lations by letter from Brevet Maj. Gen. J. F. Hartramft, of Ten-
nessee; Brevet M aj. Gen. 0. B. Wilcox; John G. Park, Commander
of the 9th Corps; from the Regimental and Brigade Commander of
the 9th Army Corps; and from Brig. Gen. N. B. McLaughlin.
In all the important commands which have been committed to his
care, he has acquitted himself with that high soldierly bearing which
called forth the hearty approval of Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of
War, and the President of the United States, which resulted in his
appointment by the President as Brigadier General, which appoint-
ment was approved by the Senate for his gallant assault upon
Ft. Sedgwick, Virginia, on the second day of April, 1865. Thus,
step by step, he rapidly rose from the private to the Brigadier,
and when the war was over, retired to the shades of private life
which he so much longed for, amid the congratulations of all his old
comrades, and letter after letter of regret came to him (the
original letters, the writer has been permitted to see) from the
highest officers with whom he associated. But his home and his
family had attractions that a brilliant and successful war record
could not allure him from; and now in the peaceful pursuits of
civil life, he is loved and respected by all. He has been appointed
Notary Public by Gov. W. R. Taylor and re-appointed by Gov.
Win. E. Smith; now engaged in a multitude of different kinds
of business which he manages with the same consummate ability
that so peculiarly marked his brilliant and successful war career.
Among the various civil pursuits that now engages his attention
may ,)e mentioned, first, his large farm of 555 acres. He is a
practical and scientific farmer and stock-raiser; and is also engaged
in lumbering, cutting some 3,000,000 feet per year. One is a
rotary saw mill, where he cuts his lumber and puts it on his own
yard; also a planing mill, lath and shingle mill in connection with
his saw mill, all under one roof; has a merchant and exchange
flour mill with six run of stone with a new device, called an end-
ing stone, which by an ingenious arrangement, cuts the fuzz and
the end from the kernel of wheat, and is pronounced a success;
has a store, 24 x 70, two stories and basement, in which he keeps
a general stock. The post office is located here. The basement
of the building is laid up with white sandstone from a quarry on
his own land that is of an excellent quality. The General has
a cooper shop, where he makes his own barrels; a ware house and
blacksmith shop. This enterprising man was one of the founders
and the platter of the village, building most of the houses, includ-
ing the hotel, the two stores on the east side of Apple River and
all the dwelling houses on the west side of the river; has sold all
the lots in the first plat of the village of Somerset and has now
platted more on the south end of the village, to the number of 14
lots. sales of which are rapid. His business aggregates annually
about $75,000. Was born in Orland, Hancock County, Maine, and
came to Wisconsin in May, 1856; spent four years in California,
engaged in mining and lumbering; built the second canal in the
State for sluicing purposes, which was a success; has been in
Somerset ever since 1856. He has one child living, Mary Francis;
a son, Charles F., died in Madison while he was in the army, and
is buried in Forest Hill Cemetery.
HUDSON S. HARRIMAN, Somerset, was born in Orland,
Hancock Co., Me., May 15, 1833; worked on the farm and in
mills until 1856, when he came io Somerset and engaged in lum-
bering on the Apple River, until April, 1860, when he returned
to the old home in Maine, where he remained until December 16,
when he returned to Somerset, and followed lumbering until
Sept. 14, 1861, when he enlisted in Co. F, 1st Wis. Regiment,
remaining until June 24, 1862 ; came back and remained until
November, 1864, when he returned to the army and joined the
17th Wisconsin Regiment, 17th Corps, 4th Division; was engaged
in guarding railroads, building bridges, clearing out tunnels and
protecting the lines; on his returning to the army the second
time, joined Sherman's army in his march to the sea; such was
the strait to which the army was reduced that he with others
stole the corn rations from the mules, and would brown it and
eat; they also stole an animal in the dark, and upon examination
found it to be a poor bull which they immediately let loose as un-
fit for use; the next thing obtained was a camp chest filled with
silverware. After taking Columbia, S. C., they had plenty to
eat and fared sumptuously every day; was in Washington at the
grand review, and was mustered out at Louisville, Ky.; returned
to Madison, Wis., where the regiment was paid off. Returned to..
Somerset and engaged in the more peaceful pursuits of life, lum-
bering -and working in the flour mill; has since been in the em-
ploy of his brother, Brig. Gen. Samuel Harriman. Was married
in May 31, 1863, to Miss Marcia A. Briggs, of Somerset, Wis.
They have one adopted child; has been Town Treasurer and
Chairman of the Board of Supervisors, also has charge of his
brother's business.
HFiNRY G. HENAULT, M. D., Somerset, was born in
Three Rivers, Canada, Jan. 9, 1846 ; earned his course of classics
in Nicolet College, Three Rivers, Canada; read medicine with
Dr. Drainville for one year at St. Bartholomew; entered the uni-
versity at Quebec called Laval, chartered in 1852; left Quebec in
1867 on a journey to Rome, passing through the principal cities
of Europe to join the Pope's forces engaged against Garibaldi,
and served two years; returned to Canada, May, 1870, and re-
sumed his studies in the medical sciences at the Victoria College
for two years and six months, graduating in the spring of 1872;
after finishing his studies, he traveled in the different States and
finally settled in Somerset. Was married June 29, 1876, to
Miss Josephine Grant, daughter of Capt. Grant; they have two
children--Josephine and Mary Louisa.
CONRAD KALER, Somerset; was born in Germany, May
27,1823, and worked on a fvrm until 1870, when the war between
France and Germany broke out, and he went into the German
army; came to America after the close of the war, and finally
settled in Somerset, buying the farm of 180 acres on which he
now lives. Was married, in 1851, to Miss Elizabeth Simon.
They have four children-Simon K., Charley, Anna and Mary.
JAMES KELLEY, Somerset; was born April 16, 1847, in
Ireland; came to America in 1865, and settled in the town of
Somerset, where he has lived since, and owns a farm of 80 acres,
also a village lot of 3 acres, on which he has built a saloon ; is
also a dealer' in tax-titles and horses to quite an extent. Was
married, in August, 1871, to Miss Mary Jane Riley; they have
seven children-Francis, James E., John W., Rosetta, Ann Jane,
Emiline and Mary E.
FRANK KING, Somerset; was born in Canada, June 6,
1822; lived with his parents twenty-one years; came to Lake
Superior and remained for five years, carpentering; came to
Sometset in September, 1855, and entered 40 acres; lived on the
land a few years; went to Saginaw, Mich., where he remained
six months; then returned to Somerset, and bought another farm,
on which he has lived since, until he concluded to build for
himself a comfortable home in the village of Somerset, owning
the farm at the same time.   Was married in Detroit, Mich.,
July 28, 1847, to Miss Julia Defore; they have one child, Frank
King, Jr.
PAUL LIBERTY, Somerset; was born in Canada, July 12,
1826; lived with his parents for twenty-one years; came to Wis-
consin in 1849, and settled on the Eau Galle River, for a time;
hence to Somerset, and settled on the place where he now lives;
has 200 acres. Was married in 1857, to Miss Anna S. Parent;
they have five children-Susanna, Mary, Tripley, Alexander and
John.


Go up to Top of Page