University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Antenne, Katharine Leary / A saga of furs, forests and farms : a history of Rice Lake and vicinity from the time of its first inhabitants : the Indian mound builders to the turn of the 20th century
(1955 (1987 reprint))

Chapter XI: farming in earnest,   pp. 33-36


Page 34

of the University of Wisconsin wrote:
"After a careful study of all conditions prevailing in northern
Wisconsin, its fine water, its ability to produce fine field crops, such
as clover, hay fodder, corn, barley, peas and potatoes, I am impress-
ed with the belief that this region will some day become one of the
great dairy regions of America.
"With the passing away of the vast forests and the dis-
appearance of the lumber industry, let there come to northern
Wisconsin advanced methods of farming with dairying as the
leading factor, and the prosperity of the region is assured
beyond all question."
Whether they were familiar with Dean Henry's views or
not, many pioneers realized the same possibilities, and began
slowly and laboriously to build up good herds.
LeJeune, Clark, Stout
Among early day breeders who carved names for them-
selves in the dairy industry are these: John LeJeune, who was
honored by the state university; W. H. Clark, famed for his
Jerseys, and called "Jersey" Clark; Frank D. Stout, who bred
purebred Guernseys at his Cedar Lake farm; A. J. Krahenbuhl
of Barron; C. J. Orn, W. F. Krippner, W. A. Weilep, John E.
Bowen, the Halvorson brothers at Canton, D. R. Kline, F. W.
Meyer, Frank and Henry Roemhild, Peter Miller, G. J. Gleiter,
W. H. Bond, C. A. Ness and Son, and many more. These men
were the leaders in bringing in purebred sires to produce the
best calves.
As far as can be learned, Jerseys were the first purebred
cattle to be brought into the county.
In the late 1880's three purebred Holstein bulls were im-
ported from Lake City, Minn. Two of them were owned by
the Van Valkenburgs in Dallas township, and the third, an
aged bull that weighed 3,200 pounds and cost him $200, be-
longed to Woodbury S. Grover, also in Dallas township.
Drs. Charron and Sattre
Two other men who firmly believed in this area's agricultural
possibilities were two Rice Lake doctors. Dr. Toussaint A. Charron,
who came to Rice Lake from Montreal in 1887, owned the 320 acre
"Rose of Sharon Stock Farm" in Rice Lake township, where he rais-
ed purebred Holsteins and horses.
Dr. Olaf M. Sattre, who came here from Michigan in 1894,
also brought purebred Holstein cattle into the county, and
made it possible for others to get started raising that breed.
-34-


Go up to Top of Page