Marchetti, Louis / History of Marathon County Wisconsin and representative citizens
Chapter XXVII, pp. 427-437
HISTORY OF MARATHON COUNTY THE PROFESSION OF DENTISTRY. The science of dentistry is a comparatively new one, and can hardly be said to have existed up to the end of the first half of the last century. The remedy for a sore tooth was extraction, which was considered to be within the sphere of the surgeon and his assistants. In large cities on the old con- tinent, where hospitals existed and yet exist, in charge of clerical orders, there was always one or another of the brotherhood who extracted teeth free of charge, the instrument used being generally the "key," so called, an instru- ment of torture, as all older people will remember on whom it was used. It has gone out of use entirely. Of course there were no dentists here for many years, the settlement antedating the science of dentistry. A dentist, a Mr. Hoffmann, practicing in Stevens Point, came up here usually three or four times a year, taking a room or rooms in the Forest House for a week at a time to cure dental disorders. When he ceased to make regular trips to Wausau, a dentist from Portage City took up his prac- tice, until J. C. Bennett established himself at Wausau in the year 1878. Having acquired a good practice, he gave himself up to drink, and when in 1880 E. L. Hogle from Stevens Point came to open dental offices, Bennett walked in Hogle's office one day and fired a shot at him from a shotgun, which killed Hogle instantly. On the first trial held in Wausau, Bennett was convicted of murder in the first degree, but the verdict was set aside by the supreme court, and on a second trial in La Crosse Bennett was acquitted. The defense in both trials was insanity, delirium tremens. After his acquittal Bennett moved to Pennsylvania and died lately. Soon after this occurrence Dr. Edward E. Lawrence appeared, soon fol- lowed by Doctor Conlin, and Lawrence removed after a practice of three years, leaving Doctor Conlin here as the oldest practicing dentist, and next in point of practice here is Doctor Douglas. The profession is now worthily represented by the following: DENTISTS IN PRACTICE IN 1912. Anderson, Gilbert C.; office, 22o Third street. Chubbuck, Charles W.; office, 517 Third street. Conlin, Bernh. H.; office, 508 Third street. Joslin, Frank; office, Livingston Block, No. 2. Kolter, Jaoob H.; office, 52o Third street. Lawrence, William T.; office, 517 Third street. Lemke, August H.; office, 312 First avenue South.
Based on date of publication, this material is presumed to be in the public domain.| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright