University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) / History of Green County, Wisconsin
(1877)

Brooklyn,   pp. [241]-246 PDF (1.1 MB)


Page 243

History of Green County. 
generally called Major that his Christian name is for- 
gotten) built a saw mill on Sugar river. One or two, 
log houses were built there about the same time. In 
November, '44, Chester Witter removed from Monti- 
cello to Downer's saw mill, as the place was called, and 
a few months later he and John S. Litchfield, of Exeter,, 
built the first grist mill in Brooklyn. At the raising 
Mr. Geo. Durgin climbed to the ridge pole, and made 
a speech, in the course of which he gave the place the 
name of Winnesheek-a name rendered familiar to the 
earliest settlers of the county by an Indian village 
where Freeport is now, and by a Winnebago chief. 
Nearly ten years later, Connecticut people with more 
love of home than good taste changed the name to Mil- 
ford. This name not proving satisfactory, but two or 
three years passed before the village was dubbed Attica., 
Before 1845      Dustin had a distillery and D. D. & 
W. W. Day had a store in Attica. At the present 
time the principle points of interest in Attica are Joseph" 
Bartlett's saw and grist mills, J. Crampton's carding 
machine, a cheese factory, owned by a company, the. 
stores of C. D. W. Leonard and Vm.. Young, and a 
hotel. The southern part of Attica was originally in- 
cluded in the township of Albany, but was transferred 
to Brooklyn in answer to petitions fiom the village, the 
first of which was presented to the County- Commis- 
sioners in November, 1851. 
Across the town, diagonally from Attica, on land 
entered by Chas. Sutherland, is Brooklyn, the youngest 
village in the county. The necessity for this village 
24S, 


Go up to Top of Page