University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) / History of Green County, Wisconsin
(1877)

Albany,   pp. [234]-240 PDF (1.3 MB)


Page 236

6Iisto'y of Green County. 
gor and John and Nelson Stevenson came with them, 
.and in August, Robert Gleason, who was employed to 
build the mill the next year, removed there with his 
family. In '46, with the assistance of J. V. Richardson 
as surveyor, Pond and Nichols laid out the village of 
Albany. They also built a saw mill, and succeeded in 
getting a mail route established from Beloit via Janes- 
Ville, Albany, and Exeter to Mineral Point. Capt. 
Pond was the postmaster at Albany. The next year, 
J. B. Sawyer and Dr. Stearns built the American 
House, Capt. R. H. Hewitt opened a general store, and 
:several new families came. They all shook with the 
ague, and all talked proudly of their beautiful coun- 
try and their noble river. In the mean time, the flat- 
tering prospects of Albany had led Messrs. Bugor and 
Stevenson to lay out the village of Independence, on 
the river, three-fourths of a mile below Albany, but 
Independence never grew    beyond half a score of 
houses. 
Zebina Warren's grist mill, R. J. & Win. Richard- 
'son's general store, S. A. Pond's book and drug store, 
and a number of shops were among the acquisitions of 
Albany in 1849-'5o. A sad occurrence in May, '51, 
:seemed for a time to blast the prospects of the village. 
Moved by a spirit of wild adventure, Wm. Richardson 
and S. A. Pond went over the dam in a skiff, and the 
former lost his life, the latter barely escaping. The 
Richardson brothers had just bought a large stock of 
.goods, and had made preparations to build a large bus- 
iness block; but the surviving brother was so overcome 
-2.16 


Go up to Top of Page