University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) / History of Green County, Wisconsin
(1877)

Albany,   pp. [234]-240 PDF (1.3 MB)


Page 235

History of Green County. 
discharged soldier who came from Fort Winnebago to 
Sylvester in 1840, and who would have made a good 
character for one of Cooper's novels. Kind, generous 
and brave, with a fund of anecdotes equaled only by 
his wonderful power to endure hunger and fatigue, he- 
was at home with all the settlers, but his most constant 
companions were his dogs. A cave in the bank of the 
river, a few miles from the village of Albany, is pointed 
out as one of his retreats. 
The locality of the village of Albany was first 
known as Campbell's ford. The land comprised in the 
village was entered by James Campbell and Thos. 
Stewart, and through their influence Capt. E. 0. Pond 
?tnd Dr. S. F. Nichols went there in the spring of I846, 
and built a log cabin-(the first in the village), which was 
occupied by the families of both until a frame house 
could be erected. With a yoke of oxen S. A. Pond, 
then sixteen years of age, hauled the lumber for the 
second house from Amos Sylvester's mill, being some- 
times obliged to first cut the logs and tike them to the 
mill. Both houses were east of the river, the log 
house about ten rods from where the dam now is, and 
the frame house on the ground where Mrs. Pond still 
resides. At that time there were but two frame, and 
two log, houses between the ford and Janesville. On a 
few rough shelves in one corner of Capt. Pond's house, 
the frame house, were kept the dry goods and the boxes 
and barrels of groceries constituting Albany's first store. 
The report that Pond and Nichols were going to build 
up a village at the ford attracted others. A. R. Bur- 
235 


Go up to Top of Page