University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) / History of Green County, Wisconsin
(1877)

Albany,   pp. [234]-240 PDF (1.3 MB)


Page [234]

ALBANY. 
In 1840, five years after he came to the county, 
James Campbell built the first house in the town of 
Albany. It was near Sugar river, about a mile farther 
south than the present village of Albany. The same 
year, Mr. Higby built a house in Rock County, which- 
was so near the north-east corner of Albany that it has 
been called the first house in the township. Mr. Camp- 
bell did not go to Albany to live until I841. It is his. 
opinion, and the opinion of Mr. Christopher Martin, 
who came from New York in I840, and' who lived with 
Mr. Campbell during parts of I841-'42, that the next 
comers were Hiram Brown and Samuel Mitchell, both 
of whom "were here before the end of '42, as were alsol 
John Broughton and 'Wm. Burgess. Some of the next 
settlers were Christopher Minert, Joshua and A. Vhit- 
comb, S. L. Eldred, and Aaron Broughton in '43, 
Daniel Smiley, Asa Comstocl, W-in. Webb, Israel 
Phillips, and A. S. Holmes in '44. Gilbert McNaught, 
McVee, Edward Copp, Geo. Bagley, Price Hills, 
and Aaron Kellogg, were among those who came in 
1845-'46. Among the occasional residents of Albany 
was Reuben Folsom, or old Reube the wolf hunter, a 


Go up to Top of Page