University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States
(1880)

Chapter XI,   pp. 665-697 PDF (18.3 MB)


Page 692


9HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY.
M. McConnell, C. E. McConnell, Joel Winch, Mollie Campbell, H. D. James,
Alice Randall,
F. L. Jones, Willie Loomis, J. F. Shadduck, F. W. Hart, Theron Dodd, D. J.
Kelsey, J. W.
Campbell and wife, Eugene Everson, J. W. Quain, W. E Bith, Hattie Tyng Griswold,
Lorinda
M. Drake, George Drake, Ettie Lee, George Spencer, T. D. Stultz, J. Roberts,
W. G. Bresee
and M. G. St. John. The present officers of the society are: T. Sanderson,
W. C. T. ; Nellie
McLarty, W. V. T.; J. Harris, W. S.; R. Griffiths, W. F. R.; May Harris,
W, T.; Anna
Loomis, W. C.; R. Turner, Marshal; J. Birdsey, I. G. ; H. W. Meyers, 0. G.
Meetings are
held over R. Griffiths' furniture store.
     Columbus Temple, No. 19, T. of i.f-Instituted April 23, 1875.    Charter
members,
Rev. H. Sewell, E. D. Kanouse, B. F. Hart, M. G. St. John, Jay Jennings,
E. E. Jones,
J. R. Jones, William Cole, R. T. Williams, R. Griffiths, P. J. Umbrite, H.
Annis, G. Tollard,
T. H. McConnell, A. Whitney, T. L. Jones, L. William3, J. W. Quain, F. W.
Hart, J. Jack-
son, M. W. Sawyer, E. Federly and Samuel Hutchinson. There are now seventy-five
members
in the temple; following are the officers: R. Griffiths, W. C. T.; D. McLarty,
W. V. T.;
S. McLarty, P. W. C. T.; M. W. Sawyer, Rec. Sec ; H. Annis, Asst. Sec.; W.
Thompson,
Fin. Sec.; S. Nelson, Treas.; A. W. Fuller, U. ; F. HIeise, D. U. ; John
Leith, W. S. ; J.
McConnell, W. G. Meetings are held over R. Griffiths' furniture store.
     Turnverein Germania.-The "Columbus Turnverein       Society"
was the title of an
organization which existed from about 1865 to 1869. Through a lack of proper
interest it dis-
banded, and, in 1874, a new organization was effected with the same laudable
objects which had
animated the leaders of the one defunct. A permanent organization was reached
October 14,
the books showing the following charter members:  J. Engel, 0. Vogl, M. Alft,
F. Wirth, H.
F. Vogl, G. Morri.;se, Antone Winter, J. G. Stahl, J. Siepp, C. Mohring,
J. Kurth, J. Alts-
schwager, G. Knaak, L. Knaak, C. Roth and G. Sproesser. The first officers
were:  Otto
Vogl, President; C. Mohring, Vice President; F. Wirth, Treasurer; J. Engel,
Secretary.
The present are: John Topp, President; J. A. Erhart, Vice President; F. Wirth,
Treasurer;
J. Engel, Secretary; M. Ehrmann and H. A. Leuders, Wardens. The Turnverein
is com-
posed of about forty-five members,, and is located in Henderson's Opera House.
     St. Jerome's Temperance Society. -Organized January 1, 1876, by the
election of the fol-
lowing officers: President, Terrence Flannagan ; Vice President, M. V. Cunningham;
Secre-
tary, B. Conlin; Treasurer, John Crook; Spiritual Director, Rev. H. J. Roche.
In May,
1880, a'library association was formed by the members of' this society, and
they now have 100
volumes of choice books. The present officers of the society are: President,
Stephen Tobin ;
Vice President, T. Conlin; Secretary, R. S. Cunningham. Mr. Roche is a strong
advocate of
temperance principles, and is meeting with 'considerable success in his work.
                                       CEMETERIES.
     When Lewis Ludington platted th6 village of Columbus in 1844, he donated
to the use of
the citizens of both town and village for burial purposes the most appropriate
spot within the
boundaries of the plat-the rise of ground now lying in the northeastern portion
of the city.
The first burial made there was that of the body of Hiram Allen, an early
settler, who died in
1845.   The cemetery question has entered quite largely into local political
contests. When the
city was incorporated, it was stipulated that there should be no change in
the existing arrange-
ments between the village and town. The matter has since been regulated by
the Legislatures
as follows: "1Whenever any town cemetery shall become embraced within
the limits of any
city the duties and powers of the town board relating thereto shall be exercisedby
the Common
Council."
     Catholic Cemetery.-In 1868,' St. Jerome's Parish purchased of A. G.
Cook suitable
grounds for cemetery purposes just north of the public burying-ground. The
first interment
made therein was in the spring of 1869, the body of Maurice Cunningham, who
died the win-
ter previous and was buried temporarily in the churchyardL being transferred
to the new plat.
The grounds have been appropriately laid out and beautified, and the little
groves of crosses
692


Go up to Top of Page