University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States
(1880)

Chapter XI,   pp. 665-697 PDF (18.3 MB)


Page 680


HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY.
Presbyterian Church society, made application to the court for an order to
convey the Presbyterian
Church property to Olivet society.    To this a remonstrance was presented,
signed by A. S.
Eckert, C. S. McFadyen, D. J. Evans, Elizabeth Evans, Ann Evans, Frank Evans,
Frank
Johnson, J. E. Nelson, Mrs. 0. Anderson, Mrs. L. G. McCafferty, Lurenda Drake,
B. A. Car-
penter, W. W. Drake and Helen Drake.        Owing to the remonstrance, the
court declined to
issue the order applied for.h*a                                         
            e
     On July 15, notice was served on the Trustees of Olivet Church to the
effect that the First
Presbyterian Church society had by unanimous vote resumed the entire control
of their church
edifice and other property belonging to said Presbyterian Church society,
and would exercise the
same from and after that date. This notice was dated July 8, 1876, and signed
by B. A. Car-
penter, F. G. Randall, C. S. McFayden and W. W. Drake, Trustees.       On
Friday, July 21,
the Olivet society was locked out of the church building, and since that
date the two societies
have worshiped in separate quarters.      The Presbyterians continued to
occupy the church
whose doors had been closed against their Congregational brethren. Mr. Hendrickson
was suc-
ceeded by the Rev. E. P. Clisbee, who supplied the pulpit about nine months.
 In November,
1876, the Rev. J. B. Andrews took charge end remained one year, being succeeded
by the Rev.
E. Smith Barnes, who occupied the pulpit until November, 1879. Since then
it has been sup-
plied by E. D. Kanouse and others. The present Elders of the church are Jacob
Smith, A. S.
Eckert and E. D. Kanouse; Trustees, W. W. Drake, Erastus Bowen and Messrs.
Kanouse,-
Smith and Eckert. The membership is given at forty-two.
     Olivet society (the Congregationalists) immediately proceeded to erect
a church edifice.
 Three lots were purchased at the corner of Spring and Prairie streets, and
by the 24th of
 December, 1876, the work had so far advanced that services were held in
the basement, the
 present lecture-room.  The entire cost was $8,800., The structure was completed
early in 1877.
 It is a fine building-a credit to Columbus, and a substantial monument to
the enterprise of its
 founders.  The Rev. Moritz E. Eversz, the present Pastor, came to Columbus
in July, 1876, a
 short time before the memorable division between the Congregationalists
and the Presbyterians.
 The present officers of the church are: Trustees-Lucius Fuller, J. Q. Adams,
James Webster,
 P. B. Richmond, Milford Loomis and D. C. Davies; Deacons-J. Q. Adams, Milford
Loomis,
 B. F. Cooper, James Webster, H. Loomis and P. B. Richmond. The membership
is given at
 ninety.
     The Rev. M. Rosencrans, the founder of the Congregational Church in
Columbus, and the
 first permanent minister in the place, died in 1860. He came hither as a
missionary, and was
 widely respected for his many excellencies of character.  For years he was
the leading spirit
 in educational and religious interests, and he filled the Congregational
pulpit until 1858, when,
 his health failing, he resigned. The regard his congregation, and the people
of Columbus gen-
 erally, had for him, was exhibited in a series of touching resolutions,
adopted by them October
 11, 1858, on the occasion of his resignation, as follows:
     Resolved, That it is with unmingled feelings of regret we accept his
decision to resign the charge of pastor over
 this church and society ; that by this act we have lost in him a man of
great piety, a supporter of good works, a
 zealous laborer in His service, a true and faithful minister-one who has
brought light out of darkness in building
 up this church, which, while it redounds to the glory of Him who rules and
masters all, is a lasting monument to
 his usefulness in the village of Columbus.
     Resolved, That he has our heartfelt thanks for the great good he has
dote in this place, and that he has the
 united prayer of all, that his health may soon be so improved that he may
go on in the good work in the vineyard of
 the Lord, until a ripe old age shall close his ministerial labors.
      The -English Methodists.-The first Methodist meetings in the vicinity
of Columbus, and
 doubtless in Columbia County, 'ere held in 1845 at what is now Fountain
Prairie, which was
 included in a circuit comprising Waterloo, Aztalan and possibly Watertown.
  The Revs. Gallop
 and Wood, the latter as assistant, were in charge. Their successors were
the Revs. Jones and
 Martin, who.were the first to preach in Columbus, meetings being held in
a wagon-shop. Then
 came the Rev. N. S. Green, with a Mr. Randall as assistant, and they, it
is said, organized the
 society in Columbus. Their successors were the Revs. Mr. Brown and Mr. Fancher,
and the
680


Go up to Top of Page