University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wisconsin Rural Electric Cooperative Association / First yearbook, 1938
(1938)

Introduction: local cooperative histories,   pp. 33-49 PDF (4.3 MB)


Page 34


   34     WISCONSIN RURAL ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE ASSOCIATION
                               PROJECT
                     Wisconsin-27-Buffalo
     Under the able and energetic leadership of County Agent John Zahorik
 of Buffalo County, this community was among those to manifest an early
 interest in the rural electrification program as applicable to themselves.
 The BUFFALO ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE was a charter member of STATEWIDE.
     The organization was reincorporated on January 30, 1937, and has the
 following Board of Directors and officers:
                FRANK H. KXAMPETER, President, Gilmanton
                EDWIN A. HAEUSER, Vice-president, Fountain City
                ARTHUR HITT, Secretary-Treasurer, Alma
            Directors:
                A. G. BENJAMIN, Nelson
                REUBEN C. KASTE, Alma
                ELMER STEINER, Alma
                OSCAR MILLER, Cochrane
                IRWIN E. AccoLA, Mondovi
                MARTIN HAGEN, Modena
     Clayton Butler of Mondovi represents the BUFFALO ELECTRIC CooP-
 ERATIVE on the STATEWIDE board.
     The local office is located at Alma where the board meetings are held
as needed. E. A. Haeuser is Project Superintendent and Miss Katherine
Jackson is office stenographer. The membership roll lists 850 members.
Easement work was done chiefly by A. G. Benjamin and Edwin A. Haeuser.
     Fritz Ziebarth of Omaha, Nebraska, began construction early in May
and has completed 264 miles of lines under the supervision of STATEWIDE
whose W. W. Benzel was resident engineer. This project presented some
real construction problems, because of the hills and valleys, and will
probably be unique in that it has some 900 foot spans. The substation
just north of Arcadia on Unit I of the transmission lines will supply the
power.
    Mr. Frank Krampeter, President of the BUFFALO ELECTRIC COOPERA-
TIVE, is also President of the Wisconsin Power Cooperative, and Director
Irwin Accola is on the Power Cooperative Board.
    Since construction began in May, 1937, a temporary energy contract
has been negotiated between the BUFFALO COOPERATIVE and the Municipal
plant at Arcadia for purchase of power. About 100 members were served
during the holiday season.
                              PROJECT
                  Wisconsin- 19-Chippewa
    In mid-summer, 1935, the people in the vicinity of Holcombe in
Chippewa County organized and were incorporated as CHIPPEWA COUNTY
LIGHT AND POWER COOPERATIVE. There was at that time no Rural Elec-
trification office in Wisconsin and their organization had been affected
through direct contact with the Rural Electrification Administration at
Washington. They also engaged engineers and attorneys.
    On December 9, 1936, they reincorporated under the name CHIPPEWA
VALLEY ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE ASSOCIATION and have since become mem-
bers of the Wisconsin Rural Electric Cooperative Association.
    The Board of Directors and officers follow:
               0. M. ENcER, President, Holcombe
               L. G. BERNIER, Vice-president, Holcombe
               W. L. GRAF, Secretary-Treasurer, Cornell


Go up to Top of Page