Story of a century, 1848-1948 : Manitowoc County during Wisconsin's first hundred years
Rensink, R. J.
Youth organizations, pp. 104-109 PDF (2.0 MB)
STORY OF A CENTURY plan, work, and play with other girls, establish friendly relations with other people at home and abroad, and accept responsibility to troops, homes, communities, and country. The Girl Scouting movement began in Manitowoc in 1927 when Ruth Hansen and Doris Fitzgerald organized the first troop. Today the city of Mani- towoc has 42 troops with a total membership of over 625; Two Rivers has over 350 Scouts; and troops are being organized at Valders, Mishicot, Maribel, and Kiel. At the close of 1928, there were four organized Girl Scout troops in Manitowoc, so a local council was formed with Mrs. Walter Hamilton as the first commis- sioner of Girl Scouting in Man- itowoc. Working with her was Mrs. A. F. Rank, deputy commis- sioner; Mrs. Grace K. Wright, secretary; and Ruth Hansen, treasurer. Miss Merle Pickett was selected as part-time execu- tive director. Her duties includ- ed keeping individual records of the Girl Scouts and directing summer camping activities. Since there was no Commun- ity Chest in 1929, the Girl Scout council had to conduct its own fund-raising drives to carry out its work. When $3,500 was need- ed for the Girl Scouts share in Camp Sinawa at Pigeon lake, troops held mammoth bake sales, and the council sponsored a bene- fit lecture. Girl Scouts spent two weeks at Sinawa that year. Manitowoc Girl Scouts were given their first merit badges at a city-wide court of awards in June, 1929. As there were only four troops, all the early court- of-award ceremonies were city- wide programs, with the council buying all the badges for the girls. One of the big projects of 1931 was the remodeling of the kitchen at Camp Sinawa. Mrs. A. F. Rank took over as commis- sioner in 1932 and Miss Pickett was succeeded by Mrs. A. N. Dedrichs as part-time director. The Scout council received fi- nancial assistance from the Com- munity Chest in 1932 and has continued to be one of the bene- fitting agencies of the fund since that time. Hire Full Time Direcior A permanent office for the Girl Scout director as was discussed in 1934 was the hiring of a full time director. Mrs. A. N. Ded- ricks had resigned and Miss Mil- dred Seekamp was hired to re- place her on a part-time basis. Miss Vivian Sell of Sheboygan was the first full time director of Girl Scouting in Manitowoc, coming here in September of 1935, when Mrs. William Protz was commissioner. The present office in the Wood block was es- tablished at that time. An op- eretta, directed by Mrs. Kenneth Healy, was one of the highlights of 1935. Mrs. Hans Ertz was the new commissioner that year, and national trainers came to Manitowoc to give advanced training to leaders. The first Mariner Ship was organized in 1936 with meetings being held at the Yacht club. The year 1937 was the silver anniversary year for the national Girl Scout organization and the 10th anniversary year for the Manitowoc group. Mrs. F. M. Tidmarsh was elected commis- sioner in 1938 and a new direc- tor, Miss Capitola Olmsted suc- ceeded Miss Vivian Sell. The first city-wide cookie sale was held in 1938 to raise money for a troop cabin. Mrs. Howard Plank was the commissioner in 1940 and 1941. A troop cabin at Point creek was discussed but the idea was later abandoned. The year 1941 found the local council already assist- ing the Red Cross and organizing a Girl Scout Service bureau. The new commissioner for 1942 and 107 MANITOWOC COUNTY, WIS.
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Manitowoc Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright