University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Gagnon, Evan / Neshotah: the story of Two Rivers, Wisconsin
(1969)

Chapter VI: Life and the lake,   pp. 65-79 ff. PDF (4.2 MB)


Page 76


NESHOTAH
city."3
  The Harbridge and Mayer firm at first specialized in small-
er type craft such as canal boats and scows. As the business
expanded they took on the building of several schooners.
  Perhaps the first schooner launched by the Harbridge firm
was the Willam AIdredge, a two masted, 200 ton vessel built
under contract for Deacon H.H. Smith. Two schooners, the
Laura and the Stella, soon followed the A ldredge down the
ways on the West Twin River. Harbridge continued his build-
ing during the 1850's as two new schooners, the Elanor and
Gertrude, both of 98 tons were launched. Also, K.K. Jones
and R. Klingholz purchased a vessel of 100 tons berthen from
Harbridge.
  The Harbridge yard must have ceased operation about 1862.
Harbridge disolved his business, moved away, and was never
heard from again.
  A noted authority on Manitowoc County history, Dr. Falge,
relates that two vessels, the Joseph Vilas (218 tons) and the
Neshoto (250 tons), were built by the pioneer firm of Hanson
and Rand at Neshoto.
  Of the early builders, the firm of Hanson and Scove looms
as the most important. The Hanson and Scove firm originated
in Manitowoc and in 1872 extended their enterprize to Two
Rivers. The company built a shipyard along the Mishicot
River on a spot later occupied by the fishing sheds of the
United Fisheries, Eddie and Albert Le Clair, and the Lonzo
brothers. The spot chosen for the shipyard was at a point
where the river channel came closest to shore. Casper Hanson
and H.C. Scove felt that their new location would accomo-
date the launching of large schooners.
  The year 1872 found very few buildings on the eastside of
town. Of the structures present, most were located near the
harbor entrance.
  The Hanson and Scove yard was considered large in size for
its day. At its peak 80 men were employed and a number of
ships and boats were under construction at one time. In the
equipment sheds of the firm were to be found most of the
best tools available at the time. Scows, canal boats, fishing
tugs, and schooners were constructed under contract and by
the shipbuilders to be sold on the market after launching.
  The H.M.: Scove, a three-masted schooner, was the first to be
3E. Beth, A History of Two Rivers, p. 14.
76


Go up to Top of Page