Ertel, Barbara (ed.) / Glimpses of our heritage : town of Centerville and village of Cleveland
Canning industry PDF (855.3 KB)
Wagner Yards PDF (400.8 KB)
Vogel Lumber Company PDF (818.6 KB)
discontinued canning operations at that city in 1973, this production was absorbed by the Cleveland plant which added another line of products - lima beans. Currently the plant employs between 30 and 40 Texas Mexicans and another 40 local men and women on two shifts. There are 12 year-round employees in various capacities to handle the production of roughly 350,000 cases of canned goods. There are approximately 100 growers for the 1000 acres of peas, 1600 acres of corn, and 400 acres of lima beans grown for processing. In the years of service to the various companies, Otto Stein, at the age of 79 and still active, has been continuously employed since 1924. Office manager, Peter J. Yankunas, is beginning his 44th year with the Cleveland canning industry. In previous years, Mr. Yankunas also served as an officer of the Lake Shore Canning Company and Lakeshore Farms. WAGNER YARDS Wagner Yards was operated by Edwin Wagner until 1972. It was previously owned and operated by Edwin's father, Dominic Wagner, and grandfather, Peter Hoffman. They originally purchased the land from John Doersch in October of 1885, at which time the lumber and coal business was operated from sheds located on the west side of the railroad tracks. Along with the lumber and coal business, services offered were the custom mixing of paint, and expert advice on planning and re- modeling of homes. All types of material were available from foundation to roof, lumber, millwork, all concrete materials, paint and paint supplies, wallpaper, hardware, coal, drainage tiles, floor tiles, plastic and ceramic and organic supplies. VOGEL LUMBER COMPANY This company began in 1914 under the name of Vogel, Stolten- berg, and Vogel. The partnership consisted of Herman Vogel, Robert Vogel, and Adolph Stoltenberg. The partnership of Vogel Lumber Company consisting of Laverel Vogel and Robert Vogel was begun in 1947. Laverel Vogel had begun employment in the company in 1922. Laverel Vogel became the owner in 1956, and in 1970 a corp- oration was formed by Laverel and his son Lloyd. Lloyd had begun employment in 1949.
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Manitowoc Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright