Ertel, Barbara (ed.) / Glimpses of our heritage : town of Centerville and village of Cleveland
The advancement of fire protection PDF (992.3 KB)
Major fires combatted by our volunteer firemen were a fire in 1830 which started in a livery stable next to the Stoltenberg Store destroying completely both the store and the stable. In 1941 the Cleveland Fire Department responded to a request from the Millersville Fire Department for assistance at a fire at a box factory. In 1952 they fought a fire at Seipel Saw Mill at Spring Valley. Very publicized was the 1963 fire that destroyed Rutherford Motel at Hika. and in 1974 Wimmler's Tavern. At right is the picture of the hand- drawn and hand-oper- ated pump construct- ed by the Badger Fire Department, and used in the Chicago Fire. The Cleveland Fire Department purchased their first horse drawn, gas driven pump in 1908. The above picture shows Stoltenberg's Store before the fire in 1930. At that time Stoltenberg's Store was located in the first two buildings. The fire started in the livery stable, the third building from the right of the picture.
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Manitowoc Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright