University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Newton,   pp. 169-180 PDF (5.2 MB)


Page 172


    The clerks' reports to the county superintendents indicate that large
enrollments
were common in the 1870's when fall and spring sessions were held. Even after
that
the children'were given several weeks' vacation periods in the spring when
the roads
were impassable. The time of this vacation period was decided by the schoolboard.
In 1870, a total of 91 children attended out of a school census of 145. The
average for
thl'e period before 1900 was between 50 and 75 pupils. With the establishment
of par-
ochial schools at Osman and in Liberty, the attendance in this school was
reduced to
less than 20 out of 60 children of school age. At present about 10 pupils
are enrolled.
    The county records also reveal that Sander's spellers and readers, Ray's
arith-
metic, Cornel's geography, and Pineas' grammar texts Were in use in the 1870's.
Other
texts used before 1900 were Swinton's readers, spellers, histories, and geographies,
Robinson's arithmetic, Kerl's grammar, Guffey's history, and Mitchell's geography.
Each child had to purchase his own texts. Slates and slate pencils were used
in
place of the tablets and lead pencils of today.
    Newton district No. 2 has always demanded the best teachers available.
The
district voters made a rule that no teacher was to be hired who had a standing
of
less than 70 in any subject. Irish teachers seem to have preference according
to the
following names of educators employed. The county records give the exact
teaching
dates of the following: Mich. H. Cleary 1872-3, P. J. White 1874, Frank Cleary
1876-7,
P. H. Hewitt 1878, Henry Walsh 1879, Jos. Morris 1894, Chas. Brady 1895-7,
Katie
McNulty 1898, John Finch 1904-5, and Cornelia Stephenson 1906. Others who
are
said to have taught this school before 1906 were John Cary, Mary Ann Maloney,
James Taugher, Chas. Whalen, Robert Mulholland, Julia Hayes, Maggie Crowe,
Fred
Axley, Mary Taugher, Jos. Brady, Elizabeth Shallue, Thos. Morrissey, and
Jos. Cher-
mak . Frequent changes of teachers seemed to be the practice.
    Many of the pioneer names are no longer common to the district According
to the 1856 assessment rolls G. Naumann, F. Morrison, F. Follmer, C. Behrens,
W.
Kreie, T. Bruckschen, M. Hacker, W. Goodwin, G. Goldie, T. Heimann, and T.
Feder-
spiel were pioneer land owners in this community. Many Irish names were common
around the 1900's. The county records show that the following residents served
as
school clerks from 1872 up to 1906: Mike Taugher 1872-3 and from 1877-188-,
Win.
Goodwin 1874-77, Thos. Morris 1894-5, Geo. Goldie 1896-8, and Dan Gallagher
1906.
Others on the board before 1906 were Win. Morris, C. Eberhardt, Mich. Gallagher,
Owen Murphy, and Win. Kolb.
    Many early residents of the district and former pupils in the little
red school
are still living in the district. Among them are Mrs. Ed. Gallagher, Peter
Bonde, Ed.
Carstens, Mrs. Henry Vogt, Wm. Lembke, Lewis and Gust Naumann, Geo. Luebke,
Jos. Gass, Mrs. Henry Waack, and Mrs. Herman Sonnenburg. Four families have
added their names to the county education profession. They were the Gallagher,
the
Morris, the Goldie, and the Taugher families. The list of names of former
students
who have become prominent in their respective communities is long indeed.
    During theĆ½ decades of spelling contests, district fairs, and
town and county
achievement contests, this school took an active part. Many of the county
prize win-
ners came from this district according to. the report of these affairs in
the County
Annuals. Newton No. 2 has been a leader in providing the best possible educational
facilities in the past for its youngsters. The future of this school will
be watched
with interest.
                        NEWTON 6--VALLEY VIEW
                             LaVerne H. Harilaub
    Newton school district No.
6 was named the Valley View
district in 1918 because of the
view  of Pine Creek     valley
which winds its way through
the district and to the rear of
the school yard. County resi-
dents refer to this school as the
Northeim school because the
school buildings have always
been located near the hamlet
of Northeim.
    The old Northeim district
was organized early in the
1850's when this lake village
and the surrounding areas were
being settled. The first Newton
district No. 6 was composed of
172


Go up to Top of Page