University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Newton,   pp. 169-180 PDF (5.2 MB)


Page 170


cost $1,063.75. In 1882 a frame woodshed 10 x 16 x 8 feet was built. In 1890
a well
was drilled, the school grounds graveled, and the south boundary of the site
was en-
closed with cedar posts and trees planted. In 1892 a tower and bell were
added. In
1896 a second story of brick was added to care for the large enrollment and
two
teachers employed. A new woodshed was built in 1904. From 1904 to 1936 many
other improvements and additions were added to keep up with the trend of
the times.
     In 1936 the voters by a vote of 53 to 25 decided to build a new school
accommo-
 dating fifty pupils. The old school was torn down. The new building was
built 50
 feet west of the old school and is of red brick and tile with a fireproof
roof. The plans
 were drawn by Percy Brandt, an architect. The school contains a modern classroom,
 library, teacher's room, kitchen, full basement, indoor toilets, and a modern
heating
 and ventilating system. It is equipped with a stoker, electric service,
telephone, radio,
 piano, water works system, and modern schoolroom furniture. The cornerstone
of
 the school was laid on September 4, 1936 by Co. Supt. E. S. Mueller. The
building and
 equipment cost was $15,500 and is one of the most modern schools in the
state.
     Since the first ten square rods of land was purchased in 1850, other
pieces of
 land have been added to the site. Another 10 square rods was purchased from
August
 Teitgen in 1856. A correction in Vol. 26, p. 425 in the Register of Deeds
Office gives
 an exact description of the site at that time. On April 10, 1906, Theo.
Teitgen sold
 to the district for $100-a piece of land to the south, to the west, and
to the north of
 the present site. On June 11, 1936 Edmund Vogt sold to the district land
to the west
 and north, about one acre, to add to the school site. The grounds now conain
about
 two acres.
     In 1896 this district set up a two room school and in 1897 two teachers
were
 hired, with the grammar grades in the upper room. The school remained a
two de-
 partment building until 1920 when it again became a one room school. In
1862 there
 were 101 pupils in school; in 1884 only 50 attended; while in 1896 the attendance
 was 87. By 1945 the enrollment was down to 27. The teaching of German for
a part
 of the year's course was common from 1850 to about 1900. In 1887, children
from
 other districts were allowed to enroll if the enrollment was below 60, but
that policy
 was discontinued after 1894. Evening school was taught in some years.
     Some early texts used were Sanders New Series Spellers, Sanders Readers,
Cor-
 nell's Geographies, Ray's Arithmetics, Phinneas Grammar, Nelle's Grammar,
Good-
 rich's History of the U. S. and Mitchell's Geography. Swinton's History,
Spellers,
 Readers, Arithmetics and Geographies were popular until the 80's.
     Among the early settlers of the district we find the names of Frederick
Truettner,
 Shannahan Bros., Herman Meyer,3. -Ewald; John D. Lemhuhl, H. Strodhoff,
the
 Teitgens, G. Clausen, C. H. Hamschemeyer, F. Klusmeyer, Sam Ehrenreich,
John
 Roepke, G. Dunekak, John Stuempges, John Gosch, Knuth and G. Frosch, and
D.
 Barnstein who was the father of Dr. Barnstein of Manitowoc. The first white
child
,born in the district was Louis Truettner on October 16, 1848, although some
claim
that Guenther Mundt was entitled to that distinction. The names of the settlers
in-
dicate that this was a German community.
     Early settlers who became school officers were Daniel Shanahan, John
Roepke,
 Henry Baryenbruch, H. Strodhoff, Joseph Marek, Theo. Prehn, Fred Groh, Aug.
 Koepsel, and Ernest Kieselhorst.
     Many of the first teachers boarded around in the district. Teaching
to some
 of them was a job for the slack periods of the year. Teachers who taught
in this
 district from 1862 to 1906 were: Chas. Bjermark, Walter Watermeyer, Henry
Meyer,
 John Molay, John Stephenson, Peter Hartlaub, Edw. Raeuber, Peter Brady,
C. Gielow,
 J. Kirwan, M. F. White, Wm. Stoelting, Louis Falge, Aug. Krause, Frank Kasbaum,
 Henry Wernecke, Adolph Jones, Thos. J. Walsh, Chas. Groh, Thos. Morris,
and Charles
 Hoefner. The graded school teachers from 1898 up to 1906 were: Prin. Karl
Zander,
 Ida Schneider, Prin. Hugo Mueller, Paula Nielsen, Prin. Chas. Lutze and
Robert
 Rank, Julia Sullivan, Prin. Arthur Heubner, Jennie Norris. Those after 1906
are
 named in the Annuals. The names of the many of the above teachers are familiar
 to the people of the county. Two well known graduates of District No. 1
are Dr.
 Theo. Teitgen, and Dr. F. W. Barnstein. The hundreds of former students
have
 become good substantial citizens and leaders in this and other communities.
     The district is almost disected by the old military road (Highway 42)
which was
 constructed in the early 1840's along an Indian Trail leading from Milwaukee
to Fort
 Howard at Green Bay. The ruins and remains of the early business places
remain.
 The district has English, Hartlaub, Silver, and Gass Lakes for recreational
areas of
 interest to residents of this and other county communities.
170


Go up to Top of Page