University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The Wisconsin archeologist
Vol. 9 No. 1 (October, 1929)

Indian village and camp sites of the Lower Rock River in Wisconsin,   pp. [6]-18


Page [7]

'Qi.erb  W0tzron       tn' arejtologItho
Published Quarterly by the Wisconsin Archeological Society
Vol. 9         MADISON, WIS., OCTOBER, 1929        No. 1
New Serles
INDIAN VILLAGE AND CAMP SITES OF THE LOWER
ROCK RIVER IN WISCONSIN
(Logan Survey)
Charles E. and Theodore T. Brown
THE ROCK RIVER
From the southern extremity of Lake Koshkonong the
Rock River pursues a     winding  southwesterly  course
through Fulton Township as far as the mouth of the Catfish
or Yahara River at Fulton, then it flows in a southeasterly
direction to the northwest corner of Janesville Township
and from there continues in the same direction as far as the
city of Janesville. In the southern part of Janesville it
makes a turn and flows west for a distance of about two
miles. From this point it flows in a southwesterly direc-
tion through Rock Township to the village of Afton. Here
its course changes and it flows in a southeasterly direction
to Riton. From this point, in the northeastern corner of
Beloit Township, it flows south to the city of Beloit in the
southeastern corner of this township. From the foot of
Lake Koshkonong to Beloit the distance along the river
bank is thirty-two miles.
The principal streams which merge their waters with
those of the Rock along this part of its course in Wisconsin
are the Catfish or Yahara which drains the beautiful Four
Lakes at Madison; and which enters the Rock at Fulton;
Three Mile Creek, which flows into the Rock at a distance
of a mile and a half north of Janesville, and Bass Creek
which flows into it at Afton. All of these flow into the
Rock on its western bank. Turtle Creek, which has one of
its sources in Delavan Lake, unites with the Rock at Beloit,


Go up to Top of Page