University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Toepel, M. G.; Theobald, H. Rupert (ed.) / The Wisconsin Blue Book, 1962
(1962)

Administrative branch,   pp. [371]-[548] PDF (54.0 MB)


Page 545


              CROP IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION                    545
                          SOCIETIES
  The following organizations are not state departments in the
usual sense of the term. They are private organizations all of which
are aided by state funds. Those so aided are required to turn all of
their receipts into the state treasury as a condition of receiving state
aid. These societies are membership organizations, whose members
select the officers.
                ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY
Secretary: MRS. PHILLiP H. WIEGAND, 1276 N. 63rd Ct., Wauwatosa.
Publication: The Wisconsin Archeologist (quarterly).
  The Archeological Society was organized in 1903. Its purpose
is the locating, mapping, exploring, and preservation of Wiscon-
sin's Indian mounds and other prehistoric landmarks; and the re-
cording of its prehistoric Indian history.
  The Wisconsin Archeological Society has meetings, open to the
public, on the third Monday of every month from September to
June at the Finney Library, 43rd and West North Ave.
   CHEESE MAKERS' ASSOCIATION, FOREIGN                  TYPE
Secretary: WILLIAM: IENATSCH, Barneveld.
  The Foreign Type Cheese Makers' Association was organized in
1922. In 1934 it took over the Southern Wisconsin Cheese Makers'
and Dairymen's Association and is now receiving the state aid
formerly received by the latter. It operates in the foreign cheese
industry and maintains a laboratory at Monroe for studying the
latest methods of producing quality cheese.
           CROP IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION
Secretary: E. D. HOLDEN, College of Agriculture, The University of
    Wisconsin, Madison.
Publications: Directory of Producers of Certified Seeds; News Letter;
    seed improvement circulars.
  The Crop Improvement Association was organized in 1901 under
the name of Agricultural Experiment Association, but in 1956 the
organization changed its name to Crop Improvement Association.
In 1903 it received its first appropriation from the Legislature.
The lines of work on which the association concentrates its efforts
are: (1) co-operating with the College of Agriculture of the Uni-
versity of Wisconsin by carrying on tests of new        crops and
varieties in all parts of the state; (2) encouraging a large pro-
duction of high grade seeds of superior varieties; (3) conducting


Go up to Top of Page