University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Newbert, Millard / History of steam boats of Fox River valley
(1930)

History of steam boats of Fox River Valley,   pp. 157-179


Page 161

Steamboats 
    The side-wheel steamer "Van Ness Barlow" built at Neenah, came
out in the 
"pring of 1851. She was put on the route between Nennah and Appleton,
forming 
                        QAl 
  connecting link am farinavigable waters would permit between the Lake Winne-
bago steamers and the "Indiana," at that time running between Green
Bay and 
Kaukauna. Passengers and freight were transported by team between Appleton
and Kaukauna until the Improvement Company completed their work on the lock
at 
Menasha in the spring of 1852. The "Barlow" was the first boat
to pass through 
the locks, opening the route from Oshkosh to up river points. August 7, 1854
one of her boilers exploded as she was leaving Main street dock in Oshkosh.
Two of her crew were killed and the upper structure of the boat badly damaged.
A part of her boiler was blown through the upper story of a warehouse on
shore. 
The hull being uninjured was repaired and again put in service. 
    The side-wheel steamer "Eureka" was built at Eureka by Rounds
&_Co., in 
the year of 1854. She was 110 feet in length with a 16 foot beam, and on
account 
C this long narrow hull, together with the fine painting of a pickerel on
each 
  ddle box, she was nicknamed the "Pickerel" and seldom referred
to otherwise. 
She came out in the spring of 1855 under C.ommand of Captain E.F. Drummond,
and 
put on the route between Gill' s Landing and Fond du Lac. Thomas Roche, who
later furnished much of the steamboat history now on record of the Fox and
Wolf rivers, there began his steamboat career being the cabin hand first
season out. He also formed one of the crew under Captain E.M.I. Neff in 1861
when she was taken to the Mississippi river. 
From The 0tmro Herald issued Oct 16, 1930. 
    The side-wheel steamer "Lady Jane" was also built at Eureka
in 1854 by 
EricMcrthur & Co.     She was constructed along entirely diffferent lines
than 
was the "Eu~reka," being 90 Loot in length and 18 ffoot beam. She
was used as 
a passenger and tow boat on variou~s routes commanded by Ch ~Tuckcer. She,
like 
'any other boats from these waters was taken to the Mississippi river, and
in 
-L6O wrecked at the Rock Island Bridge. 
    The side-wheel steamer "W.A._Knapp," built in 1854 was supplied
with machin- 
ery taken from the "Badger State" and under command of her. owner
  1.A. Knapp 
went into service on the Fox and Wolf rivers.    In 1860 she was taken t
o Lake 


Go up to Top of Page