University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Dexheimer, Florence Chambers, 1866-1925 / Sketches of Wisconsin pioneer women
([1924?] )

Daly, Grace Balderston
Sarah Janet Wood Balderston,   pp. 7-10 PDF (791.4 KB)


Page 9


    Here the wedding party once more gathering, the
bride was loaned some shoes, and after hours of driving,
they reached New Buffalo, Sauk County, Wisconsin.
There in the early morning they routed the Justice of
the Peace out of bed, and standing by the kitchen stove
the marriage vows were taken.
    July 3rd the same year, 1853, mother moved into
her home on what is now known as Third Street, the
only other building on the street being the mill board-
    Pine trees, raspberry and black berry bushes filled
the country round about. Father named the street High
Street in memory or one in Baltimore, tho it was com-
monly known as "Quality Row" until a few years ago.
    Gradually "the neighbors" came to the south end of
town, the Sampsons, the Neeves and the Scotts' the But-
terfields and the Rowes, the Wheelans, Whitneys, Purdys
and Smiths. The Kromers and Fritzsingers, the Witters
and Webbs, the Lunts and the Woodworths, the Nay-
lors and Moshers, the Wordens and Comptons, the Bern-
iers, the Sweeneys, the Robert Grace family; and a little
later, the Emmons, La Breche, Belanger, Bezoir, Bell
Farrish alid Lyon families, the Warrens, and La Vignes,
each to help make history, and all to lend a helping hand.
    Trained nurses were unknown in those days, and
countless are the bed-sides where these pioneer women
have served.
    "Auntie" Sampson, Nancy Smith, "Auntie Lem"
Kromer and Janet Balderston were famous nurses in
those days, and scores of Grand Rapids children were
given their first bath by these willing faithful hands.
Many a tooth has Grandma Balderston pulled by the
good old method of tying a stout string to the offending
member and giving an equally stout pull. And the ears
she has pierced for "stylish" little lassies.
    Mother told us her first telephone was a piece of
red flannel hung on the front of the house to signal Mrs.
Henry Jackson, who lived on the west bank of the Wis-
consin river. This meant "I'm coming over", and there
being no bridge, the row-boat journey began.
9


Go up to Top of Page