University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The Valley of the Lower Fox: historical, descriptive, picturesque
(1887)

Governor Doty,   pp. [3]-[10]


Page [4]

 
Doty was succeeded by N. P. Tallmadge. In passing up and down the river he
became favorably im- 
pressed with the advantages of the location at the foot of Lake Winnebago.
 In t835 he acquired by 
purchase lands on the Island, known as Doty Island. About the year 1845 he
built a log house near 
the mouth of the river which was a very pretentious structure for those days.
 It was christened by 
Mrs. Doty as the "Grand Loggery," and was known by that name for
many years.      The Doty home- 
stead is now a famous summer resort, known as " Roberts' Summer Resort,"
and the old log house, still 
preserved as when first built, is a favoiite cottage with guests. A view
of the building as it now appears 
is given in this work. Governor Doty was a prominent figure in the state,
and his memory is cherished 
and revered.   His wife was equally prominent in all the relations of pioneer
life with which her hus- 
band's name is connected. We find the following mention of her already in
print: " She brought with her 
to her new home her kindly disposition, active usefulness, pure morals, strict
integrity, and self-denying 
grace and dignity of character, ever silently but unconsciously teaching
and impressing those who came 
within the pale of her acquaintance and influence. None did more than she
to mould and shape the crude 
manners and customs of those early days, and reduce them to the proprieties
of good breeding and gen- 
erous hospitality. To many of the present generation her comfortable log
home on IDoty Island, with its 
cozy library and broad great fire-place of blazing logs, is a pleasant memory
of a life time, and one that 
no person would forget even if he could, for the benison of her influence
and presence is not dead, although 
she herself has been long since at rest in the cemetery at OshlkosL."
       Rev. Eleazor Williams was a notable and mysterious character of the
Fox River Valley.  lie was 
thought to be the long lost Dauphin Louis XVII. of France.  The editor of
the "Appleton Post" in a 
historical sketch, mentions him as follows: 
       " He came here in 1822 with the Oneida Indians from   New York,
succeeded after two years in 
purchasing a large reservation on the west side of Fox River, for the tribe,
and remained with them all 
his life as their pastor and adviser. As to how 4je came to be suspected
of being the IDauphin, no re- 
liable information has come down to us, but certain it is that those best
capable of knowing pronounced 
him as possesing all the family features and characteristics of the Bourbons.
His origin was shrouded in 
mystery, he was a half-breed with the moral and intellectual characteristics
of the European preponderating. 
lie seemed to enjoy the delusion that enshrouded him, and while he did not
aid in carrying it out, yet he 
was silent and taciturn as to his early life and origin, lie was married
to an Indian woman of intel- 
ligence and some degree of refinement." lie died several years ago at
his residence near Wrightstown. 
       After the settlement of the boundaries between the British possessions
and the United States, by 
the treaty of Paris, Virginia claimed the Fox River Valley as part of the
Illinois country explored by 
Colonel Clark; but on the first day of March, 1784, she ceded it to the United
States, and a government 
was provided for the territory north-west of the Ohio, by the celebrated
ordinances passed July 13th, 
1787.   By act of Congress, approved May 7th, 18oo, the Fox River Valley
became a part of Indiana 
territory. By act of Congress, approved July i ith, 18o5, Indiana territory
was divided and the Valley 
became a part of Michigan territory. By act of Congress, approved February
3d, i8j), it became a part 
of the territory of Illinois-, and by act of Congress of April i8th, i 818,
the State of Illinois was ad- 
mitted to the Union and all the territory north an(d West was detached and
again made part of Michi- 
gan territory. 
       By act of Congress, approved April 20th, 1836, the territory of \\isconsin
was established and it 
embraced within its boundaries the present States of Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota
and part of the terri- 
tory of Dakota; and on the 29th day of May, 1848, the State of" Wisconsin
was admitted to the Union. 
       In I816 the Government of the United States took formal possession
of the Northwest, and a fort 
was established at Green Bay. In 1820 the Government commenced the erection
of Fort Howard. 
       By virtue of various treaties the Government acquired title to lands
in this region. 


Go up to Top of Page