University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Manitowoc County Historical Society: occupational monograph 48, 1982 series. Boy scouting and girl scouting history briefs: Manitowoc County 1912-to date
(1982)

Manitowoc County Historical Society: occupational monograph 48, 1982 series. Boy scouting and girl scouting history briefs: Manitowoc County 1912-to date,   pp. [1]-16 PDF (10.3 MB)


Page 15


The Orpheum was acquired in 1921 and sold in 1927.
Township. Pack 130 was organized.
H.R. Jorgenson became Scout
Executive.
1931 - St. James Episcopal Troop 15
was organized.
1932- Cub Scouting officially
began.
1933- Camp Kiwanis moved to
Lincoln Park from Reed Avenue. Carl
McManus became Scout Executive.
1934 - Clem     Wagner received
Lifesaving Honor Medal. Sinawa
Lodge Order of the Arrow      was
organized.
1935 - Scouts helped in Manitowoc
Christmas parade.
1936 - Annual Boy Scout Show at
Lincoln High School featured Paul
Siple, Eagle Scout and veteran of 2
Byrd Antarctic expeditions.
1937 - Eugene Thornhill became
Scout Executive.
1939 - Council name was chosen in
a council-wide contest. Chief
Waumegesako symbolizes the things
we strive to teach in Scouting -
Character and Citizenship.
1943 - E.H. Taake became Scout
Executive.
1945 - War Service Report: 800
Scouts representing 30 units collected
717,583 lbs. of paper for which 183
Scouts received the Eisenhower
Award. 230,000 lbs. of tin were
collected. 200 Scouts entered "Victory
Green Thumb" gardening project, 7
received MacArthur Award.
1947 - Council received George Vits
Memorial Camp through the
generosity of Mrs. Olive Vits.
1948 - f$8,500 received from Rahr
Foundation for erection of boathouse
in memory of Frederick A. Rahr. Mrs.
Vits provided a road to Camp Vits and
a well.
1949 - Boathouse and winter camp
headquarters was dedicated.
1950 - Complete new      sanitary
facilities at Camp Sinawa made
available by Rahr Foundation, Vits
Foundation, Edward Hamilton and
Kasper Construction Company.
1951 - 20 acres was added to Camp
Sinawa. A new pier was constructed.
1953 - Manitowoc Lions Club built
a Health Lodge at Camp Sinawa which
was equipped by Hamilton Manufactur-
ing Company. Council added a second
staff member: Jack Corrigan.
1955 - Ken Creamer became Scout
Executive.
1956- "Get Out the Vote" Good
Turn -    thousands of door knob
hangers placed by Cubs, Scouts and
Explorers.
1957 - Paul Totzke was employed as
Field Executive.
1958 - Dining Hall roof collapsed.
1959 - New Dining Lodge at Camp.
1960 - J. William      Copeland
employed as Field Executive.
1961 - Camp Sinawa Ranger Louis
Paulow was employed.
1962 - Bill Copeland left and the
Council was reduced to one man.
One of the units in the Tent Colony.
1963 - Fred Leist became Scout
Executive.
1964 - New Service Center built
through the generosity of an
anonymous donor.
1965 - Keith Chrisman became
Scout Executive.
1966 - New Camp Ranger's home
was constructed. Jack Corrigan
became Scout Executive.
1968 - New E.O. Vits Handicraft
Lodge was erected on the old dining
nail site.
S.S.A.
Camp Sinawa lodge which was destroyed in a storm in 1958.
I <-


Go up to Top of Page