University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

McLeod, Donald / History of Wiskonsan, from its first discovery to the present period, including a geological and topographical description of the territory with a correct catalogue of all its plants
(1846)

[Chapter XI],   pp. [unnumbered]-214 PDF (5.0 MB)


Chapter XII,   pp. 214-231 PDF (3.0 MB)


Page 214


RISTORY OF W181ONSAf.
  The earth mounds of Wiskonsan and Ohio agree in
shape, size, and conformation, with those of California,
Mexico, and the intermediate places, whicb fully prove
the constructors of them to have been of the same
stock or family.
                 CHAPTER XII.
  Iowa County is forty-six miles by thirty, embracing
an area of eight hundred and eighty-three thousand
and two hundred square acres. The county seat is
Mineral Point. The surface of this county is uneven
and broken. The principal streams, that run north
into the Wiskonsan, are Mineral Creek, Pipe Creek,
and Black Earth Creek, which originate on the north
side of the great dividing ridge, which extends from
near Madison to the Mississippi. The two main
branches of the Pekatonica originate on the south side
of this ridge, and unite near Weota.  The other
streams are Fever River, Bonner's Creek, Big and
Little Otter, Wolf Creek, and Spafford Creek. The
principal towns are Mineral Point, Belmont, Dodge-
ville. Elk Grove, Shulsburg, Gratiot. Wiota, Helena,
Arena, Willow Springs, Gratiot's Grove, and Albion.
This county is in the centre of the mineral country, and
abounds in mines of lead and copper, large quantities
of which are annually exported to the eastern markets,
by Galena, and the Mississippi, and by Milwaukie and
the lakes. The "sucker holes," as the pits dug in
search of lead are termed, are so numerous, that it is


Go up to Top of Page