University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) / History of Green County, Wisconsin
(1877)

Decatur,   pp. [216]-228 PDF (2.4 MB)


Page 224

History of Green County. 
Pierce built in Brodhead. Citizens of Brodhead sub- 
scribed several thousand dollars to assist in defraying 
the expenses of the race, which is eighty feet wide, and 
nearly three miles long, and which furnishes the power 
for a foundry, several wagon shops, and the Norwegian 
plow factory. The plow factory, which makes twenty- 
five plows a day, was built in 1874 by W. A. Wheaton, 
C. W. Mitchell, H. C. Putnam, and H. H. Sater. 
Since August, 1869, Brodhead has had a bank, known 
as the Bank of Brodhead.     The stockholders are 
Ephraim Bowen, J. V. Richardson, Edwin Ludlow, 
and Mrs. Thos. Hendrie. It grew out of the necessities 
of the place, for in point of activity Brodhead is fulfill- 
ing the promise of its infancy. With good manufac- 
turing facilities, Brodhead has also the advantage of 
being the point of shipment for a part of Rock Coun- 
ty as well as for a large part of Green.  There has 
always been a great deal of business done there, 
and conductor Wadsworth says there are nearly twice 
as many passengers to and from Brodhead as to and 
from Monoe, though the tickets sold in Monroe amount 
to more than the tickets sold in Brodhead. Since 1870, 
Brodhead has enjoyed the honors and privileges of an 
incorporated town, and, "notwithstanding her greater 
age, wealth, and size, if Monroe was not the county 
town, she might have reason to fear that her lively 
neighbor would quite overshadow her. 
Unlike Monroe, Brodhead never had to wait for any- 
thing.  There were religious meetings there from the 
first, and Dr. Morris had established his reputation in 
224 


Go up to Top of Page