University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Sebenthal, Betty; Darrow, M.M.; Babcock, Vera; Kittleson, Ansel (ed.) / The Mount Horeb centennial book : 1861-1961
([1961])

Part twelve: Churches,   pp. 83-90 PDF (3.7 MB)


Page 87

progress has been made in the catechetical in-
struction of grade and high school students under
the supervision of the Dominican Sisters from
Edgewood High School, Madison. At the pres-
ent there are 250 youngsters in the catechetical
program from the Mt. Horeb parish and from the
Perry mission; another 250 are expected to
enter the program during the next 5 years.
The St. Ignatius Altar Society was reorgan-
ized in 1953; its present constitution was adopted
at that time. The organization was affiliated
with the newly-formed Diocesan Council of Cath-
olic Women in 1954. Shortly after, the Holy
Name Society for the men of the parish was also
reorganized. Both societies actively participate
in the parish adult education program; nine study
groups are in operation in the parish each year.
In 1958, the Parish Adoration Program was es-
tablished in St. Ignatius parish. To date parish-
ioners, young and old, have made more than
5,000 private Holy Hours. Since its inception at
St. Ignatius, the adoration program has spread
to more than 50 other parishes in the Madison
Diocese.
THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
by Mrs. R. L. Guenveur
The earliest information we have pertaining to
the Methodist Church in Mt. Horeb is to be
found in a History of Dane County, published in
1880, in which is recorded the following state-
ment: "The first Methodist Episcopal class was
organized November 7, 1854, with Benjamin and
Mary Blackwell, William T. and Rose Boardman,
Elisha, Charles and Elizabeth Carver. The class
was organized by Rev. J. F. Pryor and was at-
Mt. Horeb Methodist Ghurc
Earth. The class met in horn<
of the time in a small church
terians had erected as early as
stood in the present cemetery
east of its present stone pilla
By 1866 the growing Met
two and one-half acres of lai
Drvden and wife Emma "for t
$50" and erected a church a
burial ground as well. It ,N
well-built church in which ar
nity could have taken pride.
men, the late Thomas S. Tho
of this old church: "The bu
rather a pretentious one for it
that the pioneers of that tin
give bountifully from their m
was given to 'further their sp
The Presbyterians sold t
united with the Methodists an,
a one-half interest in the nei
Because of the merging of th
tions it was referred to as "T
although it remained under
the Methodist conference.
For about 25 years this w
in the Mt. Horeb community.
the Lutherans were granted u!
their services and Sunday
erected a church of their owr
The spacious, well-arran
church basement served as a


Go up to Top of Page