University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Westover, Ruth, 1910- / The Waukau Methodists, 1867-1986
(1986)

The pioneers,   pp. 1 ff.


Page 1


         The Pioneers
The first man to come to Waukau with settlement on his mind was a Methodist.
 In the spring of 1846, John Hall arrived, but became ill, returned to Ohio
to recover, then returned later.
Meanwhile, another Methodist, Luther Morton Parsons, dissatisfied with communal
living at Ceresco (now Ripon), built an 8x10 foot log shanty on the shores
of Waukau Creek.  He also dammed the creek, built a sawmill & a large
frame house ~ all of which have since disappeared.
Still standing in 1986 in Waukau is the house built by John Hall, cabinet
maker. It is now owned by Lynn Llewellyn. 
Actually, the first preacher in Waukau was a Baptist, the pulpit-pounding
Free Soiler & abolishionist [abolitionist] Hiram McKee, an itinerant
preacher. 
But a permanent settler & a Methodist, Elder William Manning, performed
Waukau's first marriage & was the first school teacher. 


Go up to Top of Page