University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Slinger Advancement Association (Slinger, Wisconsin) / Slinger historical album: Schleisingerville to Slinger, 125 years, 1869-1994
(1994)

Early Schleisingerville,   pp. 4 ff. PDF (1.2 MB)


Page 4

 
      EARLY SC 1LEI SIN GERVI LLE 
This article is taken from the History of Washington County, Carl Quickert,
Editor (S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912): 
    The Romulus of the "City of the Seven Hills," 
 Schleisingerville--but without the stigma of manslaughter 
 which adheres to that historic name--was B. Schleisinger Weil, 
 a German-Alsacian and a member of the Semitic family of 
 nations. In December, 1845, he bought much Government land 
 in the town of Polk, on 527 acres of which he platted the village 
 of Schleisingerville. A merchant dyed in the wool, he first built 
 a store and a dwelling.    His assortment of merchandise 
 comprised everything the settlers could make use of. And these 
 in return fetched him everything their land would produce. 
 This way the place very early became the most important mart 
 for many    miles   around.     Blacksmiths,  shoemakers, 
 wagonmakers, and other artisans settled here. A hotel was built 
 to accommodate the traveling public. Then two tanners, George 
 Ippel and Thomas Jenner, arrived and started a tannery. Weil 
 later on built a distillery. It is also due to his untiring efforts 
 that the La Crosse Railroad, now the St. Paul, was run through 
 the place.    When    in  1855   the  track  had  reached 
 Schleisingerville, he invited a large number of prominent 
 Milwaukeeans to a sumptuous feast, the expenses of which he 
 paid out of his own pocket. Among his guests were Stoddard 
 Judd, president of the railroad, Judge Larrabee, Mayor James B. 
 Cross, Moritz Schoeffler, and Harrison Ludington. When the 
train pulled in, an artillery salute was fired off. The carousal in 
the upper story of the hotel, which followed, was a favorite topic 
of the town    gossip for many years afterwards.       The 
Milwaukeeans fairly gulped Weil's hospitality. They missed the 
return train. Late in the evening a special train arrived, on 
which their host packed them with difficulty, and which carried 
the merry crowd back to the Cream City. Until 1860 Weil 
remained in the place which he had founded and which bears 
part of his name. He then moved to the shore of Big Cedar 
lake, a few miles away, where he owned a fine home, later 
moving to West Bend, and finally to Milwaukee. Soon after 
Schleisingerville had become a railroad station, Lehman 
Rosenheimer, another merchant, arrived on the scene of 
business activities in the infant village. He in 1856 built a large 
store, and besides did much cattle and grain buying. Five of his 
six sons followed the footprints of their father. The advent of 
the house of Rosenheimer marked another era of advancement 
for Schleisingerville. Among the early business men of the 
place the name of John Pick, Sr., also stands out prominently. 
The first church was erected by the Catholics in 1862. In 1863 
the Lutherans reared their place of worship and after it had 
burned down in 1866 they and the Methodists had a church in 
common until the former built a new one in 1872. The village 
was incorporated in 1869. In 1868 the Odd Fellows organized a 
lodge, and in 1877 a Turnverein stepped into existence, but 
went out of it again, long ago. 
ii~ H  oVsIoy a picture or the 1880 Census taker. He Is trying to remember
whether or not he counted the three seated gentlemen across the streetil
4 


Go up to Top of Page