University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
(1958)

School history,   pp. 394-423 PDF (9.0 MB)


Page 394


SCHOOL HISTORY*
               COMPILED BY MRS. HELEN L. ROBERTS
ACCORDING to a record kept by Superintendent Moulton, in 1847 a
small frame building was erected on the Ridge Road about a mile
south of Neenah for a grocery store. This project was abandoned, and
during that summer a public school was opened there, under Miss
Carolyn Boynton, with twelve pupils. The teacher received $I.5o a
week, and boarded "around." This was the beginning of the Neenah
public school system.
  The first school house in the city of Neenah was an old log cabin
near the public square, about where Immanuel Evangelical Church
now stands. This public square is now "The Green." A man named
William Dennison taught this school in 1847-48.
Establisiment of System-Officials and Buildings
THE city school system was established in 1875, with Mr. T. T. Moul-
ton as Superintendent, and 66o pupils attending. Mr Moulton was
elected by the voters and to act, ex-officio, with the Board of Educa-
tion. There were seven buildings: The Brown School, later called the
Mixed School, which stood on the northeast corner of Caroline and
Isabella Streets; the Island School; the "Point" School, a one-room
brick structure, housing the first, second and third grades, located on
the west side of what is now known as Linden Court, then Short
Street; the Fourth Ward School; and three buildings for grade and
high school on the lot facing Walnut Street, bounded by Franklin
and Columbian Avenues. The high school building was at the front
of the lot on Walnut Street. Between 1875 and 1878 a new brick build-
ing was built in the Fourth Ward on Washington Street, now Adams,
between Harrison and Van Streets. This was a two-story, two-room
building holding four grades and heated by a huge wood-burning
stove on each floor. Miss Isa Brown was the first principal, and Miss
Marie Bergstrom taught on the lower floor.
  * Since the writing of this article, the new ward divisions of the city
have gone into effect.
                               ,394


Go up to Top of Page