University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Stevens, J. V. / Medical history of Janesville, Wis.: 1833-1933
(1933)

Mercy Hospital,   pp. 20-[23]


Page 20

MERCY HOSPITAL
The order of the "Sisters of Mercy", established for the purpose of erecting and
conducting hospitals was founded in 1829 by Mother Catherine McAuley, at Dublin,
Ireland. These hospitals are maintained by remuneration acquired by the "Sisters" work
in the hospitals and any special gifts for that purpose which they may receive. There are
branches of this work in Ireland, England, Australia, Central America, etc. There are
9000 members of the order in the United States alone. The Janesville Mercy Hospital was
started in Janesville by the purchase of the Palmer Hospital in 1907. They had been
incorporated the previous year under the laws of the State of Wisconsin and under the
name of the "Sisters of Mercy of Janesville, Wisconsin." The building proved to be
altogether inadequate, so in 1913 a building was erected with a capacity of 50 beds. The
rapid growth of the city, however, taxed the facilities of this institution to the limit and
necessitated a new addition in 1920. The final cost of the completed building was
$300,000.
"As it stands today, Mercy Hospital is a handsome, commodious structure,
containing four stories and a basement. It has a capacity of 150 beds and is furnished
with everything to make patients comfortable -- electric call bells, bedside telephones,
suites with bath, sunny private rooms, and large, well lighted, airy wards. The grounds
have been improved by grading and by setting out young trees and shrubbery. On the
east side Rock River makes a panorama of never ending beauty, changing with the
different seasons of the year."
It has a free children's ward controlled and supported by the Kiwanis Club, a
maternity ward, a sun parlor, pleasant waiting


Go up to Top of Page