University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

McLeod, Donald / History of Wiskonsan, from its first discovery to the present period, including a geological and topographical description of the territory with a correct catalogue of all its plants
(1846)

Chapter XIV,   pp. 235-254 PDF (3.3 MB)


Page 235


             18TORY OF W1SKONSAN.             238
  Platteville, is a flourishing post town, in the same
county, situated on the waters of the little Platte river,
five miles west of Belmont. It has an academy, which
was incorporated in 1839, and a newspaper, published
weekly.
                 CHAPTER XIV.
   Green County, is bounded on the north by Dane
county; on the east by Rock county; on the south by
the State of Illinois; and on the west by Iowa county.
It is twenty-four miles square, enclosing an area of
five hundred and seventy-six square miles, or sections
of land. It was set off from Iowa in 1836, and or-
ganized as a separate county in 1838. Its population
in 1840, was 933, and in 1842, 1.594. The county
seat is Munroe. Sugar river, and Little Sugar river,
water the eastern portion of the county. The Peka-
tonica enters the southwest corner, and several of its
branches rise in the western part. The villages are
Munroe. New Mexico, and Centreville. Two other
villages have been laid out-Lexington and Livingston,
on Sugar river. Th'e surface of this county is broken
by moderate elevations and gentle inclinations, suscep-
tible of cultivation. Timber is scarce. This county
consists principally of prairie land, especially in the
southern part. Several valuable discoveries of lead
ore have been made, and late researches prove indi-
cations of many more, The soil is generally welt
  adapted for agricultural and grazing purposes. Sheep


Go up to Top of Page