University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

McLeod, Donald / History of Wiskonsan, from its first discovery to the present period, including a geological and topographical description of the territory with a correct catalogue of all its plants
(1846)

Chapter XIII,   pp. 231-235 PDF (863.5 KB)


Page 231


HISTORY OF WISKONSAN.
boat navigation. The land bordering it is hilly and
undulating. On the north side it is well timbered,
chiefly with hard wood, and abounds with lime and
silicious stone. It has clean, gravelly shores, and is
mostly supplied by springs, having but one small tribu-
tary. At the nearest point, it is fifteen miles from the
Wiskonsan river, and a canal might be easily construc-
ted to connect these waters. The country around it
rises in gentle elevations, and is underlaid with lime-
stone. In some places the lake is from fifty to sixty
feet deep. Chaledony, agates, and cornelian stones,
have been frequently found on its shores.
                 CHAPTER XIII.
  Grant county, is bounded on the north by Crawford
and Richland counties, east by Iowa, south by Illinois,
and west by Iowa territory. Its extreme length from
north to south, is forty-eight miles, and from east to
west, thirty-seven miles: its mean width, however, is
only twenty-four miles; making an area of eleven hun-
dred and fifty-two square miles or sections. It was
set off from Iowa county, in 1836. Its population in
1838, was two thousand seven hundred and sixty-three;
in 1840, three thousand nine hundred and twenty-six;
and in 1842, five thousand nine hundred and thirty-
seven. The county seat is Lancaster, situated at the
head of Pigeon creek, near the centre of the county.
It has a fine brick court-house, The principal streams
are the Mississippi, the Wiskonsan, Platte river, Grant
231


Go up to Top of Page