University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Perry Historical Center (Wis.) / The historic Perry Norwegian settlement
(1994)

Chapter 3: The Daleyville School District,   pp. 53-71 PDF (7.4 MB)


Page 53

Chapter 3: The Daleyville School District
The Daleyville School District always included both
the village of Daleyville and a group of surrounding
farms. This chapter deals with the farms around
Daleyville which were included in the Daleyville
School District.
The first school in what became the Daleyville
School District was held during the summer of 1852
in the log church (9) north of Daleyville. The
teacher, Sigrid Omland, had about ten students.
The old log school (1853-1868)
In the fall of 1852, the men of the neighborhood
hastily built the first building especially for school
purposes in this school district.   The first
schoolhouse in the Perry Norwegian Settlement was
in what became the Meadow View School District
(see Chapter 7). The first Daleyville school was
down off the ridge top, a little less than 1/4 mile
east of where Highway 78 now runs -- about where
the southern end of what is now Roger and Dawn
Anderson's farm (16) meets what is now Fritz
Mani's farm (20).
This 18' x 18' school, used for 14 years, was built of
large logs with clapboard oaken shingles. There was
one window on each of three sides and a door on
the fourth wall. The seats were made of oak logs
split in two, the flat side up, somewhat dressed, with
four 2-inch holes for legs to be inserted. Along
three sides of the walls were slanting wooden pins
on which boards were fastened. This was for those
who took penmanship. Twenty years later, Ole M.
Grimstvedt, one of the first ten students in the area
to attend school, recalled that all that was necessary
was to turn around on the seat to write. A Franklin
stove was used for heat.
In 1867, the district began construction of a new
school. It was completed about February 1868.
Hans Grinder purchased the 1853 school, moved it
to his farm (37) and used it as a blacksmith shop.
A plat map for the 1870s shows the 1868 school in
Section 17, closer to Dahle's second store (which
stood where house 19 now is in The Village of
Daleyville). A new stove was added in 1869 and a
new outside toilet built. In 1880 new desks were
purchased. In 1881 a tower was built and a bell
installed.
On December 30, 1893, Gabe Lewis received
$1,035.00 for building a new two room school.
November 24, 1894, Thore Smesrud bought the old
schoolhouse and stove for $45.00. Eventually, it
became a blacksmith's shop.
About Christmas time the next year, 1895, Halvor
Hoiby put the finishing touches on the new school
by hanging the bell, a blackboard and flags. Still
standing, this building is located directly east and
across the road from the Perry Lutheran Church
and has been converted into a residence (46 in The
Village of Daleyville). From 1894 on there were
two teachers employed.
*
The school always had two departments, upper and
primary. The primary remained the same from 1894
to 1969: grades 1 through 4. From 1894 until 1922,
the upper department included grades 5, through 8.
That year, 9th grade was added. In 1923 there was
a 10th grade. Most of these students transferred to
Mt. Horeb High School in 1924. Meanwhile back in
Daleyville, a new 9th grade started. The upper
department included a 10th grade in 1925. In 1929,
another 9th grade class was started, but it was
discontinued after a few weeks and the class
transferred to Mt. Horeb.


Go up to Top of Page