University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Worthing, Ruth Shaw / The history of Fond du Lac County, as told by its place-names
(1976)

M,   pp. [59]-69 PDF (3.8 MB)


Page [59]


*Lowertown was a designation of the northern part of the city
of Fond du Lac around Scott Street. The area was low and
marshy but held much of the settlement's commercial interests
as it had the harbor at the mouth of the river, the steamboat
landings, warehouses, mills, etc. all important in the city's
early history.
Luco, Luco Creek and Luco School are in Section 1 of FOND
DU LAC. In the early history of the county, one of the settlers
was a Luke La Borde, nicknamed Luco. The creek on which he
kept his boat was called "Luco's Creek." Eventually the name
was applied to the surrounding community. Luke moved to
Oshkosh in 1848 and spent the rest of his days building boats
on Lake Winnebago.
Luxerin, the name of the Sheridan Farms in Section 25 of FOND
DU LAC, was created by combining the first syllable of Luxem-
berg, the homeland of Sheridan's mother, with "Erin" his father's
homeland.
*Luzerne Post Office was established in 1851 with Giles Titus
postmaster. In 1856 the name was changed to Brandon.
*Lyceum of Ripon was the name under which Ripon College was
founded in 1850.
                             M
Macy Street in the city of Fond du Lac extends north from the
courthouse to Scott Street. It was named for John B. Macy who
owned a great deal of land in the central part of the city. When
he platted his holdings he named the streets: Macy for himself;
John for his son; Russell for his wife's family; Thomas for his
son-in-law; Hone for his sponsor; and Newport for a city in his
home state.
   Macy was born in Rhode Island of a sea-faring family, and
for a while was interested in navigation on the Great Lakes.
He often took excursions west when speculators wished to ob-
tain land in the territories as
soon as they were opened. He
himself came to Fond du Lac
at the instigation of Eastern
bankers who were interested
in the development of the west.
He acquired land of Philip
Hone, the mayor of New York
City, and within a year of his
arrival, in 1850, he had begun
the construction of the Rock
River Valley Union Railroad.
This line was begun in the vil-
lage of Fond du Lac and ex-
tended south, following the
-r'-a ruver to cianesvule wnere    Macy Library


Go up to Top of Page