University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Browse the series: The Custerdale comment

1 match.


The Custerdale comment : dedication number (1943)

This 6" x 9" booklet was published for the dedication of the Custerdale Community House in Manitowoc, Wisconsin on July 25, 1943. Custerdale was a federal housing development constructed on the west side of Manitowoc by the federal Division of Defense Housing starting in 1941 to provide temporary homes for hundreds of workers who had moved to Manitowoc for war-related jobs, chiefly in the submarine building program at the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company and in Navy construction at the Burger Boat Company. By 1943 there were 650 Custerdale rental units available in single and double stand-alone homes and twenty-seven apartment buildings. The Custerdale Community House with an auditorium, social rooms, pre-school classrooms, and other facilities was completed in 1943. Its dedication on July 25 was also the first official program celebrating the annexation of Custerdale into the city of Manitowoc. Part of the original development had been within the city limis; the entire plot had been formally annexed June 5, 1942. In addition to the dedication program, this booklet includes photographs and information about Custerdale, the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company, and worker training programs in Manitowoc. There are also testimonial quotations from Custerdale residents, a poem about Custerdale, an honor roll of Custerdale residents serving in the armed forces, and a back page advertisement for war bond sales.


Go up to Top of Page