Story of a century, 1848-1948 : Manitowoc County during Wisconsin's first hundred years
Johnson, J. G.
History from the beginning, pp. 3-12 PDF (3.5 MB)
MANITOWOC COUNTY, WIS. HISTORY FROM THE BEGINNING By J. G. Johnson From 1673 to 1898 in the set- tling of Manitowoc and Two Riv- ers (Courtesy January 1948, "Mixing Bowl") First court house and jail at Manitowoc Rapids, 1840-9 There was a forest since the time before history-a dense pine and hemlock growth, w i t h boughs intertwined, holding the sun's rays from the ground. The leaf-carpeted ground was the home of countless animals-deer, bear, wolf, and lynx, in addition to small game. Indians found their food and clothing in the forests around their villages, from the rivers rolling to the great lake. And then, a strange incident. Two men of pale complexion, wearing strange clothing, came out of the distance in their canoe. They were exploring the coast of the immense water, they said, and were called Marquette and Joliet. Though there is no record that Marquette and Joliet stopped at Manitowoc or Two Rivers, they must have landed at many spots along the Wisconsin coast. It was in the year 1673 that they set out to map the shoreline from Green Bay to Illinois and it seems probable that they picked camp sites near rivers such as at "Mundeowk" and "Twin Riv- ers." They were the first white men to see the sites of Manito- woc and Two Rivers. First Written Record The first written record of Manitowoc county was made more than a hundred years later in a book called "A Voyage on Lake Michigan," written by Sam- uel Robertson, a trader. He spoke of an Indian settlement at "Twin Rivers," some distance north of Milwaukee. A few years later, in 1795, Jacques, sometimes known as Jean Vieau described another town which he called "Mune- dowk" where the Indians speared whitefish at the mouth of the river. 3 STORY OF A CENTURY
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Manitowoc Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright