Manitowoc Association of Commerce / Manitowoc, "the city of opportunities"
Manitowoc Municipal Light and Water Plant, pp. 6-9 PDF (2.1 MB)
6 MANITOWOC, THE CITY OF OPPORTUNITIES Built by Burger Boat Co. Wisconsin Light & Fuel Co. This really and truly a "Way back when"story of the Wis- consin Fuel and Light Company. In 1900, a franchise was granted to Messrs. Henry Vits, Julius Lindstedt, Emil Teitgen and M. H. Dempsey, to organize and operate a Gas Company. The population of the city at that time was approximately 11,000. The first year, 1901, the comvany had 393 custo- mers. Records for the actual consumption of gas are not available, but a fair guess would be about 5,500,000 cubic feet. In 1907, the plant was sold to Mr. David Douglas and Mr. R. C. Douglas, present Vice-President of the Interstate Fuel and Light Company. At that time there were 1,418 custo- mers and the population had grown only slightly to about 12,500. The company went along under this management until 1917 when it was sold to Mr. C. A. Runyan, Mr. A.H. Ryall and Mr. L. F. Ryall. At that time the customer list had grown to 2,518, consuming approximately 51,000,000 cubic feet of gas and the city had grown to about 16,000. In 1925, the Manitowoc pioperty became a part of the Inter- state Fuel and Light Company and in 1928 was serving 4,536 customers and turning out more that 106,000,000 cubic feet of gas, the population at that time being in the neighborhood of 23,500 people. Manitowoc Municipal Light and Water Plant Manitowoc citizens boost and feel proud of their munici- pally owned public utility plants. Crystal-clear well water is distributed to 4,400 homes and industries from five wells having a capacity of five million gallons per day. These wells are advantageously located- two on the north and three on the south side of the river. There are two submerged river crossings interconnecting the distribution systems on both sides of the river. Steam and electric pumps are used. There are fifty-five miles of six to sixteen inch diameter cast iron mains, and four hundred fire hydrants connected thereto. The electric power plant of 10,000 K. W. capacity is an outstanding example of accomplishment and a barometer of the progressiveness of our city. Fifteen years ago when the plant was acquired from private interests, the capacity was 810 K. W. A new plant was erected in 1917. Three extensive additions to the plant and as many rate reductions have been made since. Residence lighting rates are 6, 5, 4 and 3c per kilowatt hour per month, for quantities, 20, 40, 40 respectively, with the 3c rate applying to consumption in excess of 100 K. W, H. per month. The minimum charge is 25c per meter. Cereal Products Company
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Manitowoc Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright