University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Our first 100 years, 1857-1957
([1957])

The middle years--1900-1945,   pp. 20-55 PDF (14.9 MB)


Page 20


        CHRONOLOGY
The Middle Years-1900-1945
  Mrs. Edward E. Sager and Mr. W. T. Fox
1900-Population 15,086.
1900-Kaukauna extension to the interurban
      system inaugurated.
1901-Dedication of St. Elizabeth Hospital.
1905-The Union High School, now the
      Morgan School, was completed at a
      cost of $92,000. There were twenty-
      nine pupils in its first graduating
      class.
1907-First Municipal Court established.
      Thomas Ryan was the first judge.
1910-Population 16,773.
1910-Commission    form   of government
      voted in.
1911-President Taft spoke in Appleton-
      the only president to do so while in
      office.
1911-Unveiling of Soldier's Monument on
      Veterans Square.
1913-Lawrence University officially became
      Lawrence College.
1913-Vocational School established in the
      old post building.
1916-Mobilization orders issued to Com-
      pany "G" for duty on the Mexican
      border.
1917-Company "A" (formerly Company
      "G") left New York for France.
1919-Oney Johnson Post established by
      veterans.
1920-Population 19,561.
1922-Daily Post merges with the Crescent
      to form the Appleton Post-Crescent.
1923-Aid Association for Lutherans moved
      into its newly   constructed  office
      building.
1924-WHBY radio station opened.
1925-Dedication   of  the  Soldier's and
      Sailor's Memorial Bridge.
1928-Interurban service discontinued.
1929-Institute of Paper Chemistry organ-
      ized.
1930-Population 25,637.
1930-Electric  streetcar  service discon-
      tinued. It had operated continuously
      for 44 years.
1938-The new Senior High School building
      opened its doors on a rainy Monday
      morning. Sidewalks had not as yet
      been provided. The clay was very
      sticky.
1940-Population 28,436.
1942-Dedication of the new Court House.
1945-Dismantling of the old Oneida Street
      Bridge in preparation for the new
      span.
20


Go up to Top of Page