University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wisconsin. State Conservation Committee (1915-27) / Biennial report of the State Conservation Commission of Wisconsin for the years 1915 and 1916
(1916)

Marquette Park,   pp. 93-95 PDF (630.6 KB)


Page 93


BIENNIAL REPORT
sawed. A portion of the lumber has been used in building a tool house
near the ball ground which will also afford a dressing room for the players.
   The baseball ground has been developed on the upper end of the park,
midway between the towns of St. Croix Falls and Taylor's Falls, the towns
subscribing $423.00 and $119.00, respectively, for the work. The time of
the superintendent in supervising the work was donated by the state,
together with other expenses, amounting to $147.00.
   During the next two years the road south through the park should bL
improved to the southern boundary, since it is expected the town of Osceola
will continue this road from the park boundary south, maKing all parts
of the park accessible to the public.
   Considerable forest planting on the open fields is contemplated during
the spring of 1917. A bath house will be erected on Thaxter Lake, which
lies entirely within the park.
  On the rock bluffs, white and red pine and oak abound. The hills farther
back are covered with mixed hardwoods, and the bottom lands are covered
with elm, silver maple and hackberry.
                        MARQUETTE PARK.
  The Marquette State park is located in Grant county in the angle formed
by the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi, and includes the bluffs
along both rivers. The greater portion of this land was the old Glenn
homestead and it was due to the efforts of Senator Robert Glenn that the
natural beauties were preserved, as he for a long time had in mind the idea
of this area becoming a great natural playground for the people of future
generations. The park is complete and contains 1651 acres. *The Military
road terminates on the park, the highest point being some 500 feet above
the Mississippi, and 1180 feet above sea level.
  None of the natural beauties of the park have been destroyed, although
some of the upland has been cleared, thus giving a variety of scenery. The
site of the first fur trading post established on the upper Mississippi is
on
the park. Above the narrow crest of Sentinel Ridge, overlooking the
Mississippi, is located one of the finest groups of Indian mounds in this
section of the state. This system is over one-half mile in length, and is
known as the "Procession of Mounds" consisting of 14 conical, 13
linear
and a single effigy mound. These mounds were marked by the Wisconsin
Archaeological Society in 1911, the tablet bearing this legend,-
                   "PROCESSION OF MOUNDS"
                      Length about one-half mile.
            Marked by the Wisconsin Archaeological Society
                           September, 1911.
Effigy mounds of deer and bear, linear, chain and burial mounds are com-
mon.
  Father Marquette, and his associate, Louis Joliet, the great explorers,
discovered the Mississippi river from Point Lookout, on their voyage of
discovery in the year 1663. Other points of interest are Sunshine Hill,
93


Go up to Top of Page