University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Dexheimer, Florence Chambers, 1866-1925 / Sketches of Wisconsin pioneer women
([1924?] )

Maria Smith Mills,   pp. 166-167 PDF (392.6 KB)


Page 166


    Dr. Andrew J. Ward was a member for four years of
the Iron Brigade of the Army of the Potomac. As a sur-
geon he was in charge of Brigade, Division, and Corps
hospitals. Mrs. Ward was with her husband at all times
when she could be of any assistance. She spent the sum-
mer after the Battle of Gettysburg doing all in her power
to alleviate the sufferings of the soldiers in the hospitals
there, as she did later at Antietam and other places when
she could be of service to her countrymen.
    Mrs. Ward was the notable housewife and hostess,
with a mind ever at leisure for the contemplation of af-
fairs of State. She was always interesting. Her influence
was felt by all who knew her and came in contact with
her alert mind. Mrs. Ward's residence was on Carroll
Street where the Carnegie Library Building now stands-
for eight years, from 1866 to 1910, she lived at 121 Wilson
Street West.
........................................ ...............................................s*.....I.............
U
              MARIA SMITH MILLS
      Contributed by the John Bell Chapter, D. A. R.
s....
    Maria Smith Mills, wife of Simeon Mills, was born
in Sandisfield, Massachusetts, May 21, 1815, and came to
Wisconsin in June, 1838.
    Mr. Mills had preceded her by a year, and as he
was one of the two men who were first on the ground in
Madison, she saw the city from it's very beginning.
    A log dwelling, which had been erected by Mr. Mills
for a store, on the corner of East Main and Webster
Streets, appears to have been the first home of the fam-
iiy, and it is probably there that Mrs. Mills experienced
the difficulties and privations that she would sometimes
refer to in later years.
    Mr. Mills built a frame house later, where the Bank
of Wisconsin now stands, and an office in the yard;
these and a white picket fence around them, are in the
                         166


Go up to Top of Page