University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Dexheimer, Florence Chambers, 1866-1925 / Sketches of Wisconsin pioneer women
([1924?] )

Mrs. Jarius Cassius Fairchild,   pp. 50-51 PDF (415.4 KB)


Page 50


            MRS. JARIUS CASSIUS FAIRCHILD             -
            Contributed by the John Bell Chapter, D. A. R.
          Sally Blair was from New England with the blending
      of Scotch and Irish blood that has produced so many
      strong and noble characters in our American History.
      She was born in Blandford, Massachusetts, June 11, 1803,
      but when she was a young girl her father, James Blair,
      moved to Mantua, Ohio, and there she was married to
      Jarius Cassius Fairchild, a native of New York, with
      English ancestry, and a man of sterling worth and great
      force of character. He is still remembered as one of the
-N;' strong forceful men in early history of Wisconsin where
      he served for four years as the first state treasurer.
           Mr. Fairchild took his bride to Franklin Mills, now
       Kent, Ohio, where he was in business and there four
       children were born to them. One daughter, Sarah, and
       three sons, Lucius, Cassius and Charles, who all served
       with distinction in the Civil War-Lucius and Cassius
       in the Army and Charles in the Navy. Another child, a
       son, died in infancy. The family moved next to Cleve-
       land, then in July, 1843, Mr. Fairchild brought his fam-
       ily West to Wisconsin where his brother-in-law was a
       successful merchant-Frank Blair in Milwaukee. They
       drove out from Milwaukee with a team arriving in Madi-
       son just at sunset on a July afternoon. The entire fam-
       ily seems to have been impressed with the great beauty
       of their future home, as they drove into town through
       what is now Wingra Park.
           The Fairchild's first house was a small frame affair
      on the corner of Main and Pinkney Streets, and later they
      moved to the corner of Doty and Carroll Streets. During
      these years Mrs. Fairchild offered as did everyone who
      could, hospitality to the members of the legislature, as
      the hotels were inadequate for the needs of the crowds
      during the sessions. In 1847 the Fairchilds moved into
                                50


Go up to Top of Page