University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
([ca. 1990?])

Early settlers


Early Settlers
The Town of Mequon was within the original boundaries of
Washington County, and was established by an act of the
territorial legislature, December 7, 1836. Washington
County then corrprised all of the territory then embraced
in Ozaukee and Washington County.
The lands in this section in 1679, and many years there-
after, were occupied more or less in common by the Sacs,
Foxes, Pottowatamies.  Later the Pottowatomies occupied
the land west of the Milwaukee River and the Menominees
east of the river to the lake. This was the situation
in 1831. The title which the Indians had in this section
was completely extinguished by 1838.  The Indians came
back many years thereafter to look over their general
neighborhood. The title of the Menominees was extinguished
by a treaty made September 26, 1833. The treaty was not
satisfied until Feb. 21, 1835, and their rights did not
expire until February, 1838.
It was by virtue of these treaties that the white man
gained the proprietary right to take up lands. It is
observed that the County was open to the white man to
obtain land in the territory east of the river about
seven years before it was open west of the river.
When the opportunity to take lands first opened to the
whites by the government, about 1835, speculators as
usual were first on the spot to pick out land. The


Go up to Top of Page